Tuesday 27 March 2018

Crokinole Game



After reading some of the comments concerning the Crokinole game in my last post I did a little search and discovered why many of you have no idea what in the world this game is all about. It seems it is uniquely Canadian, first made in Ontario in 1876.


Crokinole was a very common game when I was growing up.
We called it Knips Brat , which loosely translated from Low German, means" Flick board", since the aim is to flick your opponent's discs off with yours.  It takes a lot of dexterity ( which, with my arthritic fingers I don't have) but it's such a fun part of my heritage.

If you're at all interested I've posted some information off the internet.


The standard Crokinole board is a 66 cm (26”) diameter wooden board with a shallow hole in the center. Players flick small wooden discs on the playing surface into valuable positions. The playing area is divided into 3 scoring fields by concentric circles with increasing values towards the center. There are 8 bumpers around the most inner circle to make it more difficult to flick the discs in the center hole. The most outer scoring filed is divided into four quadrants. Players can only shoot discs from their quadrant. The most outer circle is the shooting line.
Discs landing within the scoring circles are worth 15, 10 and 5 points moving out from inside. A disc falling into the center hole is worth immediately 20 points to its player. Discs leaving the playing area are worth 0 point. The shooting line is also the border of the playing area (see image 1). Players count their points at the end of each round .

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing about this game! I'd never win, but it would be fun to try. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! It seems like playing marbles on a restricted-area surface.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a bit familiar with it, but don't think I've ever played. Sort of like table top curling ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crokinole is commonly played in this area, and there are even leagues. My wife is of Mennonite extraction and it was played extensively in her community, where wicked games such as cards were banned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And after checking them out on ebay (prices ranging from $160-$350!!) this is probably as close as I'll ever get to the game, lol. But an interesting cultural thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard of the game, but it sounds like fun. I love the pictures in your last post. How sweet that you both play games with your grandson. Bet he loves it. I've never been much on playing games...I did love monopoly back when we were growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a fun old game! I had not heard of it ...thankful I can still learn a thing or two:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess you'd describe it as darts for pacifists!!
    - Sheila

    ReplyDelete