Wednesday 7 March 2018

Food and Flowers


When M. came up to get a chocolate chip cookie for his school lunch this morning he informed me that we were almost out.  That meant it would be baking day. Besides the cookies ( by the time I thought to take this photo I had already put most of them into a container)  I made scones and bread. Although I used the same dough ( made in the breadmaker) the small, cheese-topped loaaves turned out fine but the larger loaf  hardly rose at all. It's destined to be breakfast toast so it isn't a problem but I do wonder why it didn't rise.


Dianna, on her blog Forgiven, posted about a lovely  old jam jar that she recently acquired. She loves old things, as do I. It reminded me of my two old Marmalade jars that I treasure ( and use).


M.K. in her post ( Through a Glass, Darkly) mentioned making a vegetarian pot pie.  I made this one on the weekend and also made a date-cranberry-raisin square ( most of which I put into the freezer for unexpected company. The pot pie had a lot of roasted peppers in it and DH was not at all enthusiastic about the results. Now I know to put in fewer next time.


Just so my whole post isn't about food I made I included this picture of the yellow Crocus blooming in the front yard.

And in the back some very small Winter Aconites are showing their faces. I used to have a nice little patch of them but then one year they disappeared. I'm hoping these will be happy and naturalize.


It's quite a lovely day here. 10 C ( 50F) and I've been outside with a broom and the shop vacuum tidying up the leaves and twigs that the wind blew in. I'm hoping this milder weather will stick around.

Thanks for visiting,

      Granny Marigold

12 comments:

  1. I always envy your scones with fruit. I need to make them. When the weather warms just a few degrees, doesn't it seem more hopeful? I really get more ambitious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your goodies look so yummy! We love scones here...I need to make some and I like your loaves with the cheese on top. I think I may give that a try when I make bread again this week.

    Your marmalade jars are so pretty. I love things like that when you can use them over and over again. And I know you make your own marmalade. I really want to give that a try one day. Thank you for mentioning my blog in your post today.

    The flowers are so pretty. I think yellow is such a cheerful color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post reminded me that I haven't made scones in a while. I think that while we're snowed in tomorrow I should make a batch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks delicious, the date cranberry raisin square made my mouth water. Its always so fulfilling to do a big bake and have goodies in the freezer. I intend to have a bake tomorrow in readiness for several church events.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So what you're really saying is that today would be a good day for me to come for tea?? ;)
    - Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a scrumptious post, I bet your kitchen smelt wonderful xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sure do treat the ones living at your house with home made goodies!! I thought about planting crocuses last year but didn't and now I wish I would have. Must do this fall! Love them! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, that made me hungry. I have to go eat lunch now. Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are such a great baker, GM. I have not been baking at all because unless the grands are coming (and some of them prefer a bite of chocolate over a baked cookie) I do not need the temptation. I will just enjoy looking at your beautiful offerings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You do make me want to get to baking...

    But crocuses are food for the soul, and I'll go with that today :-) Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Food and spring, very satisfying!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, yum! Everyone's baking! Enjoy all that goodness. And that warm weather! :)

    ReplyDelete