Thursday 5 July 2018

Short Road Trip



My DH wanted to go on a long drive so we chose as our destination the Okanagan , an area of B.C. known for its fruit orchards ( and vineyards). We had lovely weather and the first day wasn't too warm
 We enjoyed  the scenery and once we were off the main road we saw some wildlife.
Numerous deer, 2 Moose, several Loons and a few other birds which we don't often see around home..






We were able to pick our own cherries, something my DH loves to do!!
That second day was very much warmer than the previous!! Good thing we were shaded by the trees as we picked.

      We bought a box of Apricots which were almost the size of Peaches!!


              The fruit stands with their lovely produce look so attractive



We stayed in a campground that was right by a river. Sat outside until the first stars were visible. Watched the Nighthawks, birds that are most active at dusk and just before sunrise. They swoop and glide as they catch insects. Then, as suddenly as they had appeared they were gone.



Now we're back home and trying to keep cool. It seems in the 2 days we were gone all my perennials drooped so I have lots of watering to do. Thanks for coming by,


Granny Marigold


21 comments:

  1. What a lovely trip and those cherries look scrumptious xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, all that fruit makes me long for an apricot - a fat one!
    What a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was away this week too and when I came home things were in dear need of a good watering. Oh, but isn't it fun to get away and have a little adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a nice little trip you had. Hope your plants do well now that you're home! X Chy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely trip and you got some great photos.
    I love cherries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the fruit looks wonderful. We have been enjoying Washington Cherries, picked at the grocery store. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful fruit! Those apricots look so delicious. I'm glad you got a little get-away time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All that fresh fruit makes me hungry!

    It's been years since I got to pick cherries. So happy for you that you and your husband got to do that.

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to having some cherries for my lunch today!
    - Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  10. That fresh fruit looks FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you and your DH were able to get away for a short trip. The scenery looks so pretty and the fresh fruit looks amazing. How wonderful to have such a nice variety close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. pretty photos! Those cherries look awesome. $3.99 a pound here:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything looks good. I ned to pick my raspberries tomorrow. I think nighthawks are one of my favorites, love their call as they glide close to the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wonder if we crossed paths at some point! My sister and I went to Oliver on Tuesday and came back on Thursday. We also got cherries, and apricots and some peaches. We stopped at Pickard Creek on Thursday afternoon and cooled our legs and feet in the river. We didn't see any moose though, lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you had a wonderful excursion. I am envious of all that lovely fruit you brought home though I wouldn't know what to do with all the apricots as we eat very little jam. Do you dehydrate them? We however can never get enough cherries - the price at the stores is what limits our purchases, not our appetites! Your plants must have rejoiced at your return, ours too are in need of watering every day now with our extreme heat. Today's 44 degree humidex was almost unbearable.
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
  16. To have a lovely outing, and then return with fruit! What could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! I would like your wonderful little trip. Beautiful country and beautiful fruit. Are those sweet cherries or sour ones? What will you make of them? I hate to leave my plants in the summer because of watering! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're sweet cherries. I'll use them for jam and also pies, crisps, etc..

      Delete
  18. Nice. Cherries are so expensive at the store. I hope you got a good deal! I'm hoping to pick blueberries soon. Waiting for a Facebook announcement that they're ready for pickers. Is a nighthawk the same as a nightjar? Pretty birds! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. After Googling it looks like the nighthawk, nightjar and whippoorwill might all be the same bird. Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are part of the same "family". I guess you could say they're cousins.

      Delete