Monday 23 July 2018

This and That




Are you ready for the new week?  It continues to be very hot and dry here.  I think it's the first time my succulents can't stand the intense heat and are getting bleached out. After looking this up on the internet I learned that succulents actually prefer morning sun with shade from the hot afternoon sun especially if they are grown in pots. I found I had some shade cloth which I will drape over them in the afternoons since moving some 20 heavy pots is not something I want to do.

On a brighter note it is fruit season and we are taking advantage of all the delicious fresh fruit available. We have put lots of cherries in the freezer and eaten so many. But, when we saw that a local fruit market was selling them for a dollar a pound we went to buy another 10 pounds. I think there must have been a bumper crop this year.


We went to pick some Seckel pears, a variety I had not heard of  but found out they are the smallest  kind of pear , also the sweetest. Since pears have to be picked before they ripen we have to wait a few days to find out if  we like them.

I'm sure my washer has finished its cycle and is ready for me to do another load.
Thanks for stopping by.  Please leave a word or two so I know you came by.

                   Granny Marigold



14 comments:

  1. I am ready for this new week... we are getting some desperately needed rain, and rainy days are good for reading and baking! I've never heard of those pears either... I learn something new every day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the hot weather slows down so you can have some relief. Those cherries look amazing! We just bought some on the weekend but they were definitely not $1 a pound!

    Enjoy your week!

    X Chy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was very hot and dry here too until the last few days. Now they say we will get rain every day this week. Cherries for a dollar a pound is cheap!! A grocery store in town has them for $1.99/lb. I should have bought a few. I love cherries and haven't even tasted one this season. Hope the pears are good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cherries look tasty, I am a great fan of freezing fruit for a taste of summer in the winter months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so hot here, hotter than we usually have, phew... A bowl of cherries, how delicious xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha - with your last statement, I realized MY laundry is also ready to be rotated :) Off to do that! Your fruit looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have been eating cherries too. They we down to $1.55 here in the supermarket. That's low.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Summer fruit fun! That is a wonderful feeling, to have lovely fruits put by.

    Though I'd had succulents for decades, it wasn't until two years ago that I learned about how most of them don't like full sun, at least in summer. I'm having a hard time finding the right spaces for the ever-multiplying succulents.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is very interesting about your succulents. Maybe that is why I've had trouble with some of mine. Thank you for the information.

    Oh...those cherries look so good! I can't remember why just now, but when the cherries were ready around here we weren't able to go to pick them.

    The pears will be delicious. There were two of those pear trees in the lane to our home when I was a child growing up. They were cut down a long time ago, but they had the most delicious flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! How time flies! Cherries look good. Sweet or sour? We are partial to sweet. We use to have a couple Asian pear trees and on one of them the pears were really tasty. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cherries are good here too but $4 a pound:(

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really do like cherries!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been eating so many cherries. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  14. $1.00 a pound for cherries - unheard of here! I would have shelled out ten bucks in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete