Sunday 13 January 2019

The House Next Door and a Recipe


Isn't that a strange combination....a house and a recipe.
 When we left to go shopping on Friday morning the wrecking machine had arrived next door.  By the end of the day nothing remained of the house. Even the concrete basement walls were gone.  Very soon a new house___ a very big new house___will go up.  I am not thrilled about the noise that construction will create nor the shade that the house will cause ( it will block the sunshine from the west).  I wouldn't be surprised if the duplex next to this site also gets demolished in the near future. You can see it to the right of the picture.





 We're still eating pears every day and enjoying them.  I made this dessert and we really enjoyed it. If you're interested you can find it if you look for Betty Crocker Impossibly Easy Pear-Custard Pie.
The only changes I made to this recipe was to increase the number of pears from 3 to 5  and also I added cinnamon to the crumble topping.

I make my own Bisquick by combining 3 cups of flour,  one-and-a-half Tbsp. baking powder, 3/4 tsp salt and 3 Tbsp. oil ( you can use melted butter).  I make a variety of the "Impossible" type pies including savoury ones and I keep a jar of this mix handy in the fridge.

If you do want to try a savoury  recipe using Bisquick a good one is Betty Crocker Impossibly easy Vegetable Pie.


Thanks for visiting today,   I hope you're enjoying the weekend.

                    Granny Marigold

16 comments:

  1. It’s sad when houses get demolished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I bet that was a shock to the neighborhood. They made short work of the demo:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoW, they work fast! Sorry the new house will block the sunshine, sometimes change is a very hard adjustment. A new house was built next to us a few years ago and the noise was intrusive, thankfully the noisy part didn't last long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am curious as to why they demolished the house next door. It looked like a perfectly good house. I'm sorry that you will lose some of your sunlight. We live in a dark house so I know how precious sunlight is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness, that doesn't take long to obliterate a place, does it? Rather sad if you ask me, all in the name of progress I imagine. I sympathize with you as you are right in that there will be alot of activity and noise as construction of the new house begins.
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing how fast something can be torn down.

    That dessert looks positively delicious! I have always enjoyed pears.

    Have a beautiful week♡

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess we will be adjusting to the disturbances in our forces (and neighborhoods) together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How disquieting, to have changes so close to your own house. From here, the house that was destroyed looked better than the duplex still standing. May the Lord give you peace in spite of this unfortunate situation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rather sad to see a house be torn down, I am guessing they will build a mansion in its place. When our family home was sold they kept only the brick walls and basement and essentially created a new house there, I would call it a mansion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They made short work of that, how quickly that went down. I added pears to some red cabbage and popped it in the slow cooker for hours, it made a very tasty side.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! It's so exciting to watch construction in your neighborhood, but that is mighty close to you :( It seems a very narrow lot to put a big house on! I hope it all goes well and is not too intrusive on your space.

    THank you for the pear recipe. We have a pear tree, and I never know what to do with the pears - they don't have a strong taste, so making jam or canning them is not always a good idea. We have trouble eating it all up. But a pie would be a nice change!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was quick work...and clean-up...on the house next door! Life will be different (noise wise) in your neighborhood once they start building the new home there. I'm sure you are a good neighbor and hopefully the people who are building the new house will be good neighbors as well. Our entire neighborhood has changed so much in the 20 years we've lived here. Most of the homes were owned by neighbors who were older than us...now we are the old folks (makes me laugh every time I think of that) because as the older people died their homes were bought by young couples. We do have good neighbors here. And we try to be good neighbors to them.

    Your pie looks and sounds so good. I have some pears left from Christmas that need to be used. I think I'll give this a try. And, also, thank you for including how you make your own Bisquick. I'm going to make up some of that and keep it in the fridge. Savory also sounds good so I will probably give that one a try soon, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My heart goes out to you with the construction noise. Hope all gets done quickly and that the new house will not be a nuisance. The pie looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That pie looks good! Seems a shame about the house. I think it is such a waste, all the materials in the landfill.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a shame about the house. It looks a nice house. I like that nice older style.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know I've made Impossible pies in the past. Waaaay back! :) That was a nice looking house. Hope the building process isn't too bad.

    ReplyDelete