Friday 4 January 2019

Friday's Flowers


I posted this picture around the middle of December. The first flower stalk ( or scape) on my Amaryllis "Nymph" was blooming. By now all 4 buds on that stalk were done and I cut it down. Now the second stalk has begun to bloom and the flower is a little different. More open and more streaked.
I'm so pleased with the way it looks.



I was in Walmart this morning and went to check if they had marked down the prices of their Amaryllis. Yes, they were down to $2.74 and $3.74 depending on the variety. Of course I had to buy one of each.







Got them planted up right away. As you can see they had begun to grow in their boxes. If you've never bought one in a box I should tell you that they come with the potting soil and pot complete.


The grocery store had these cute planters on sale. In each pot there are a couple of mini Daffodils, some Crocus, 2 Tulips, a Hyacinth and a Primrose. In mine so far only the Primrose and one Daff are blooming.

I've decided 2019 will be my "year of flowers" so if nothing is blooming in my garden I'll search out inexpensive flowers each week.

Thanks for visiting. If you're not much of a Flower person you'll probably be skipping my blog on Fridays.

I love to read your comments so don't be shy!!    GM

16 comments:

  1. Those are so beautiful and cheering in cold January, GM! That amaryllis is particularly stunning. I haven't looked for any in the stores, but I should. I have one in my flower bed outside that's cold hardy and has multiplied over the past 3 years to a large clump. I wonder if they are all hardy outside, or if some of them have to be inside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amaryllis apparently can be grown outside in zones 9 to 11 and can even tolerate a bit of freezing if it's not for too long. We are in zone 7 so there's no way we could leave any outside in winter.

      Delete
  2. So very pretty. I've never had an Amaryllis. Will check out our Walmart and get one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, lovely! Your Nymph amaryllis blooms are identical to mine as my 2nd stalk has now opened up too. My Apple Blossom and Minerva are still in full bloom as well. Lucky you finding them marked down at Walmart. I will have to make a special trip to see if our store here has done the same! I just wish I had bought more varieties at the Can. Tire store instead of just the Nymph when they had those specialty ones available earlier in November! I'll be looking forward to your Friday posts!
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flowers are fun, especially in winter when they have to be intentional.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The white with pink striped Amaryllis is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing all the flower photos

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are so beautiful!!! I love flowers so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are beautiful and they can be kept and stored to pot up again next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of your blooms are beautiful. They must bring you a lot of pleasure this time of the year.
    I wish that I was better with indoor plants. Although; I have a green thumb in the garden, it is a black thumb indoors :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never grown any amaryllis. I think I need to give it a go. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful flowers! I'm afraid I tend to neglect and kill indoor plants, but I'll gladly read your blog on Fridays! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post is just right up my alley as my mother would have said. My husband says that some days he feels as if he is living in the jungle. LOL Anyway, your "Nymph" is just beautiful. When we go to town this week I will check at Walmart to see if they happen to have any at a good price. I would love to try growing one of them. A year of flowers sounds like a wonderful year to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look so healthy. I like the Friday flower idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a truly lovely one! I received one for Christmas, and planted it about a week ago. Its stalk is six inches tall now. I assume it's red...

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty! I always enjoy your flower photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love amaryllis blooms... I don't have one this year, and now you've sparked my thought to check Walmart to see if they have any left on sale! Your amaryllis bloom is stunning, love the blushing stripes! Enjoying inexpensive flowers is truly a heart delight! Blessings and hugs :)

    ReplyDelete