Tuesday 29 January 2019

Tuesday's Thrifty Treasures


It  was a frosty morning and I had to sit and wait for the car windows to clear before I headed off to the thrift store.  I almost didn't go thinking I'd stay home and get more scrapbooking done. I had quite a few photos waiting to be dealt with. I'm glad I went though because I found 6 lovely Royal Albert plates, 6" size, in Sweet Violets pattern.  Back in July 2017 my son brought me 7 tea cups and nine coffee cups in this pattern after a woman in the complex he manages asked him if he knew anyone who might want them.  For some unknown reason there were no saucers. I can't imagine why not. Anyway, now I also have plates to match.



Here I put one of the coffee cups or maybe they're called mugs beside the plates. Sorry about the shadows. I'm not much of a photographer.


I couldn't leave this pretty display plate there. It was only fifty cents. I looked up Griotte and they are a kind of slightly sour cherry.


                         Children's books were all .50 so I added this one to my collection.


I read cook books and food magazines looking for inspiration.  I always look for interesting ones at thrift stores preferring to pay .25 each instead of new price.  Taste of Home rarely disappoints me.


After I came back from my little shopping trip I got busy and finished my scrapbooking. After lunch it was so sunny out that I went to clean up leaves and twigs that had blown on the concrete behind the house. I checked the flowerbeds and saw that the ground was frozen but some hardy bulbs are coming up. A sure sign of Spring!!

Thanks for visiting,

         Granny Marigold


19 comments:

  1. I have a cup and saucer in the same design, I actually collect violet design china, as well as many others, but violets is my biggest collection, very sought after here in the UK, but I shall not be parting with mine.The magazines look like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky find with the china! I bought a partial set there for 50 cents some years ago, but have never found any more of the same pattern. I was in MCC around lunch time, briefly. All I bought was a couple of bunches of wire hangers for a project I had in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you have bulbs coming up too! Aren't we ready?
    Taste of Home is a really good magazine. I've often enjoyed those.
    Your violet dishes are absolutely beautiful! I love those dainty blooms. I hope you find a set of saucers at some point too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your plates were a wonderful find! I love that pattern. I have a covered butter dish in the same pattern and I love it...so delicate! I hadn't thought of looking for magazines at the thrift store so thank you for mentioning that. I'll definitely check that out when we go next time...which will be soon because I'm going through each room and decluttering and have some things to take already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The magazines look like a good read and perfect for this time of year. I am still working on my Christmas scrapbook and enjoying the process. Love the violets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great find...how fortunate you were to bring these lovely plates home with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love that little house book! And your plates were a real find....now I will think of you, too, when I see pretty plates/teacups.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some great finds there and sounds like a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You found some great things this week. I'll have to look and see if our thrift store has magazines... I don't think I've ever seen them there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a find - I just love any china with violets as they are so cheery but my "collection" is quite small compared to yours and all of them slightly different but loved all the same. I am in the process of culling my magazines so I dare not bring any more home though the temptation is there! No bulbs emerging here in our gardens yet, not with -48C windchills though some of my daylily seeds have sprouted. I am trying to restrain myself from buying all manner of seed packages that are out on display already.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The violet plates are lovely. How nice that you have matching cups.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You make me want to run to the thrift store! I love the plates with the violets! Mama loved violets!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What pretty and fun finds you got at the thrift shop. I like the thoughts of bulbs peeking out of the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  14. lovely collection.
    have a great day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Tanza, thanks for visiting today and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  15. Pretty dishes! I should check out the magazines at my thrift store. They're so expensive new!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your cups and saucers are so delicate and pretty. I am so looking forward to the first violets of spring in my yard.. Here in the Midwest USA we have been going through some record breaking cold temperatures.

    I just discovered your blog today and am now on your followers list.

    Susie D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susie, Thanks for coming by and becoming a follower. I hope you'll visit often. I did see that you have a blog but haven't posted for some time. Your grandson is a cutie.

      Delete
  17. oh lovely dishes!!! they are so pretty!!! yay for the finds!! books too! So nice and peaceful! I am so glad you are here!

    ReplyDelete