Wednesday 6 March 2019

Books!!


I don't think I've posted the picture of these YA books I bought at the thrift store when all the children's section of books were just .50. I'd made a start on reading a few of them but then my Amazon order came and I abandoned them for my old friend Miss Read.


This book includes Changes at Fairacre, Farewell to Fairacre, and A Peaceful Retirement..  I'm so pleased to own this copy which was described as "gently used".



I also ordered Christmas with Miss Read but that is being shipped at a later date. In any case I'll put that one away and read it next December.


I love how she says she's hopeless in choosing clothes ( I can identify!)  and how she can't seem to arrange flowers properly. She ends up just plunking them in a vase. Again, my attempts at arranging never quite meets my idea of how I want it to look. 

Here's an example. I bought these flowers just this morning and I really like them but see now I should have taken a lot more leaves off and maybe cut the stems even shorter ( they had very long stems!!)   Incidentally that quilted table topper is a one dollar buy that I found recently. Of course I couldn't resist.  Someone put some hours of work into making it and I'm happy to have it since I cannot sew let alone quilt!


Last time I looked outside it was snowing lightly again.  This seems to be a winter that keeps on and on.  We finally are having our roof re-shingled after trying various things with the help of our sons. The leaks kept happening so now the entire roof is being redone and although I find the hammering and general thumping noises that the 3 men make unnerving I'll be happy when it's done. Hopefully it won't take more than a couple of days.

Thanks for visiting, 

 Granny Marigold




20 comments:

  1. The books look good...even the YA books. I need to try the Miss Read books but have so many on my kindle already.
    It snowed all day here yesterday, but it did not amount to anything. Today we had sunshine and blue skies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Read is such a good selection of books. I'm glad you got them! Your flowers are really pretty...bright and cheerful. The table-topper is so pretty. You always find the best deals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re-roofing in the snow?! That's brave of you and the roofers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose if roofers only worked when the weather was dry they wouldn't work most of the year!!
      They got half the roof cleared of old shingles yesterday and put on a waterproof membrane. It has stopped snowing now so maybe they'll show up this afternoon.

      Delete
  4. Enjoy your books! The table topper looks great, you got a bargain and the flowers look just fine. I would enjoy setting at your table.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is the winter that will not end. Your flowers are cheerful as is that table topper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came across your lovely blog as I was hopping from blog to blog and am enjoying it thoroughly. Already quite a fan!
    I love YA fiction but more vintage from the 50"s. And I absolutely adore Miss Read. My ambition is to collect all her books. I have the Christmas one you spoke of , you will love it! I may just treat myself to a small Amazon purchase of a Miss Read or two to add to my collection.
    Hugs,
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen. I went to look for your blog but found that you don't have one. Yet. Maybe soon?
      I'm glad you enjoy my every-day-ish ramblings and I hope you'll visit often.

      Delete
  7. Those Miss Read books will give you hours of happy reading and soon your roof will be all new and completed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh I LOVE Miss Read!!!! Sigh. I really enjoyed Christmas at Thrush Green and also the Christmas book you posted above... I read both at Christmas time, the first I saved for Christmas time and the second I was given at Christmas as a gift! I know the Miss Read books are going to be, I hope and pray, with me for a long time and that I get to re-read them in the future! The YA books look great that you found! I, like you, love thrift stores!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Winter is hanging on here, too, though I saw my plum leaves are bursting out. The rain continues, and if it's not raining it's cold and cloudy... Grumble, grumble... At the same time I am truly thankful for the rain. It is God's blessing! And I think we may get a little break, with sunshine, for a day or two... maybe.

    It's great that you have some good books to read in winter weather!! I think the weather and sickness are the reasons I read more books in January and February than I do many years in all twelve months.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always nice to have some books around. :) I've never read any Miss Read books though have heard of them.
    The quilted table topper is really nice and you sure can't beat the price!!
    Snows every day here too!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You seem to be having an endless Winter this year. Here's hoping Spring is just around the corner. Love the quilted mat, a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Last Chronicle of Fairacre sounds like something I need! I know what you mean about the table topper. I can't resist buying something that someone spent a lot of time on. I just have to adopt them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You really hit the book jackpot! I love 50 cent books. Your flowers look lovely to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Miss Read is a favourite here too, such a good writer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your flowers look good, not too long or too many leaves. ha. After all the snow here I have some cabin fever, so will try to get to the library in Eagle Bend tomorrow. Phil/MN

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh what a delight it would be to sit at your lovely table with you and visit. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't read any books by Miss Read, I will have to keep my eye out for them, she sounds like a wonderful writer! I love your flowers, they look great! So springy :) And the darling flowered mat that you found, so wonderful that it has a new loving home and graces your table! Winter is dragging on here too... we are getting more snow tonight. But! Temps are to warm up next week into the 50s, and then we will be complaining about mud, lol! Such is our life with four seasons, never a dull moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so happy you're getting a new roof. We were in the same boat with our leaky roofs.
    I LOVE Miss Read. I read most of her books many years ago. The Fairacre ones are my favorite, and the teacher herself (the younger one) is delightful. I appreciate her honesty about her limitations too.
    As soon as you have a minute, you really MUST read "Over Sea, Under Stone." It is one of my all-time favorite YA books. It's just wonderful. I've read it myself about 3 times.

    ReplyDelete