Monday 1 February 2021

February and Candlemas

 Aren't we all so glad to turn the calendar to February?  January has been an endless string of wet days and I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting some sunshine. The days are noticeably longer though and that's encouraging.

 


Candlemas falls on February 2 which is the 40th day after Christmas and marks the end of the Christmas/Epiphany season.  This ancient festival marks the midpoint of winter, halfway between the shortest day and the spring equinox.

It also commemorates Mary and Joseph presenting baby Jesus at the temple.

Traditionally pancakes are apparently eaten on Candlemas so that's what we'll have tomorrow. And I'll be sure to put candles on the table ( which I often do anyway in winter).

 


 Thanks for coming by. I hope you have a good week ahead.


Granny M


14 comments:

  1. Do you know that I had never really known the history behind Candlemas. Thank you for telling us! Maybe we'll have pancakes for dinner tomorrow! And definitely a candle lit throughout the day.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. BLESSINGS FOR CANDLEMESS!

    A special day!

    THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I prepared already the pancakes!
    It has been also raining here in January but this year we had a little snow as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a happy Candlemas Day and enjoy your pancakes! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed, Janurary seemed a really long month this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A nice post and reminder. I will put a candle on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did not know about Candlemas. I do know that it is Ground Hog's day, and my son, who knows stuff, did inform me that it is half way between the winter solstice and the spring equinox.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's nice to see the lighter days that February brings. Happy Candlemas to you. Enjoy your pancakes! We're having soup!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad the days are getting a bit longer...I hope the month ahead is good for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I simply can't believe how much rain we have had and going into February didn't help much. Today we had a little sun with the clouds but it was cold and very windy...30 mph winds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Candlemas!!! 🥰🕯 because of the snow church for this feast was cancelled 😥 but candles will be blessed this Sunday instead 🥰🥰🥰🥰

    ReplyDelete
  12. We celebrated Candlemas today at church! And I always have holy candles in the hearth, but added two more today. I didn't know that pancakes were eaten today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay for longer days! Happy Candlemas! (Is that what you say?) :)

    ReplyDelete