Friday 12 October 2018

Teacups and a Question


Yesterday I had my second cataract surgery and I'm relieved to have that done with.
When we arrived home from the hospital I made myself a pot of tea and went to pick a cup and saucer.  This time I was not surprised by the fact that they were not a matching set. The cup is Royal Albert but the saucer is not. I've been on the lookout for the RA saucer but haven't found one yet.



Today's teacup is one made in Japan and is covered with bunches of pretty violets.


Quite some time ago one of my dear followers posted something about these wooden objects. One of these is very old, the other two are replicas that DH tried his hand at making. But now I can't remember what they were used for. Was it to do with sewing, or mending?  I'd be thankful if the right person reads this and let's us know.

That's my post for today. My vision is still quite blurry and I have to peer at my computer and try to focus.
I think I'll just go have a rest.

Thanks for sstopping in,


     Granny M.

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting your second cataract surgery completed! I hope you have a quick and easy recovery. I think those items are used for darning socks. Don't you put it inside the sock under the hole and then repair it with needle and thread?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my right eye done in July. I see a lot better now. I think my mom had one of those wooden things, or similar one, for mending socks. I need to look for it. Hers was more egg-shaped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you a quick recovery from your cataract surgery. I have them in both eyes but they are very slow growing so surgery is far in the future for me. I think your mismatched black cup and saucer are my favorite so far! I'm not at all sure what your wooden things are but they look like "eggs" used for darning. I'm curious to know if that is what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too think they are used for darning socks.
    Hope you have a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a darning mushroom, such an impressive job your DH has made of the other two. I loved the violets on the cup and saucer. Hope you have a quick recovery, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you a smooth recovery. Cataract surgery is in my future. Currently I spend a lot of time squinting in the search for clearer sight. Very pretty tea cups. I agree with the comments above. My mom had something similar for darning socks. Hers was shaped differently. Perhaps the ones you show are to darn a different article of clothing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The darning eggs I've inherited, three or four now, are all egg-shaped, but I can't think what else these would be for. Maybe the broader curved surface works better for darning a broader variety of garments than just socks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both tea cups are very pretty. You would never know by looking that the black are not a matched set. The saucer goes with it beautifully. I like the purple violet tea cup. The purple violet is our provincial flower. Yes, those wooden objects are used for darning socks. My grandmother had ones much like these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad your surgery is now behind you. What a relief! The cup is pretty. At first glance, I thought those wooden objects might be drop spindles, but then others mentioned darning mushrooms. I've only ever seen a darning egg, but it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete