Wednesday 24 October 2018

This and That


Although I have my garden shed in the back yard I like to keep a few garden tools handy in the front. This little shelter is tucked away in a corner, mostly hidden by a row of tall Rugosa Roses ( you can just see a bit of one on the right of the photo).  Anyway, it was getting messier and messier so DH spent half a day fixing it up. This included sanding the inside and giving it a new coat of varnish. Should be good for years now.

                                                .....before....


                                               and after.


When we go walking I have a hard time resisting the urge to bring home every pretty leaf I see.
I press them in the phone book for a day or so then give them a coat of Modge Podge.. 


                 We're not the biggest Squash fans but Fall seems to call for Butternut Squash soup.



And of course I have to include my teacups.Monday's choice is on the left in this pic.( I took a picture when I was having my tea but it turned out a bit blurry). In case you're interested this teacup was made in Bavaria by Malmaison.


I must confess that on Tuesday I felt like I wanted a big mug of tea so that's what I had. No dainty teacup that day.

Today's teacup has such a pretty design inside that I wanted to show that first...


...and here's the outside. I do love the cup but my tea was cool before I had a chance to drink it. A definite negative thing about this shallow, wide kind of cup.


So that was my day. Thanks for stopping by and also for leaving lovely comments.

               Granny M.


16 comments:

  1. Hello GM! SUCH pretty teacups! Yes, sometimes a mug is best when we want LOTS of coffee or tea. I really like your little tool nook. It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first teacup from Bavaria is my favorite today! X Chy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are even tidy with your tools!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your husband is one handy man to have around! It is amazing the difference he made in your little area for storing tools closer to the front of the house.

    My husband grew a new variety of winter squash this year...along with the buttercup he grew some called butterkin. They are SO very good. They look like a small pumpkin, but really are a squash. I want to try making some soup with them.

    Your tea cups are lovely, but I understand how some days we just need mugs of tea instead dainty tea cups.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your little tool shed! And it looks lovely all spiffed-up! Those tea cups are gorgeous and I agree with you sometimes these teacups don't keep the tea hot! But they sure are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The green teacup is so very pretty. How delightful it must be to enjoy your tea in such lovely teacups. I like the tool corner. It is so neat and your DH did such a nice job refinishing it. I love squash and grow lots of it. I have never tried squash soup though.
    A lovely post. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got a thrift store chair I need to refinish. Never done that before, so it will be a fun learning experience. Your shed looks great! That green teacup is so pretty. I have a butternut squash in my fridge. Maybe I'll make it into soup! Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had squash soup tonight. Ours was a red kuri squash. I have a recipe for a soup that uses sweet potatoes, but it is one of those easy recipes that you can change and play around with, so decided to use squash instead. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your little tool shed. There's just something special about any kind of little shed. The rich color looks pretty. I can't resist picking up pretty leaves either, but had never thought about using the Mod-Podge Seems like every time I open a big book, a leaf falls out. :) On your last post, those are the best pictures I've ever seen of a Pileated woodpecker. They are such beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could say I took those pictures but actually I "took" them off the internet. I wasn't going to risk going for my camera and missing one minute of watching that Woodpecker.

      Delete
  10. We had squash and pepper soup for lunch, perfect for this time of year. I am enjoying your wonderful collection and admire each cup/saucer you share.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a difference, looks nice a tidy now.
    Yum the soup looks delicious. I like a nice thick soup like that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your little garden shed! At first I thought it was a building with a door and an inside, but then I realized it's just a covered area, perfect for a few tools. Great job cleaning it up. About tea cups. I think I read (on that site about tea cup shapes that you shared) that the open, flared shape of the tea cup is designed to release heat so you can drink your hot tea sooner ... and not burn your lips? Are coffee cups more upright? Or maybe I'm getting them confused with pots. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't know about Modge Podge, but I will make note of it and look into using it - does it keep the leaves from losing their color?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Modge Podge does keep the leaves from fading.

      Delete
  14. Such a pretty tea cup inside and out too bad your tea cooled off so fast. Pretty redo on your garden shed:)

    ReplyDelete