Wednesday 12 May 2021

Plants and a Sparrow

 

 

It was a lovely day with sunshine and temperatures around 20C (68F).  We went to the Plant Shop first thing in the morning before the crowds . I bought a few more tomato plants, some herbs, and of course some flowers.  I even bought another house plant. I got rid of three and I have a couple of African Violets that I've babied along to no avail and I think they must go. So I bought a fern. It has the unusual name of  Crocodylus.  According to the tag  it is very easy to care for and is hard to overwater. Doesn't that sound like a good houseplant? Here is a photo from the internet.

 


 

While we were eating our evening meal on the porch we were thrilled to see a Golden-Crowned Sparrow hopping along the path. He was still there when we finally went in. I hope he stays around because we have rarely ever seen one and when we did it was always in winter.  Here's another picture off the internet.  

Isn't he handsome?


We have more sunny days in the forecast so I'm hoping to get a lot done. I hope tomorrow is a lovely day for you too.


Thanks for visiting.  GM

17 comments:

  1. This sparrow is really lovely! Is he still here?

    My husband set the small tomato.plants now sheltered into open air. He made them from seeds in March. Here we have to be careful because of cold days always around middle-May, it is called: "The Saints of the ice"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a birder myself, I L❤️VE this sparrow!! I too bought some flowers to replace some in our yard that froze in winter (not supposed to freeze here, but did this past winter). Can't wait to have our yard back to the sub-tropics again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to have those sparrows around...they are just so cute. That is the type if plant I need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi GM...great photo there of the little Sparrow- sure is pretty. We're in Autumn and it is cold and some rain too...Expecting winter soon as we're already well rugged up and ready. Best Wishes. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you were able to get some nice plants. The little bird is adorable! Happy gardening. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might need to check out that house plant that is suppose to be easy! I need easy. LOL! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heard an unfamiliar bird song the other day and tried to see who was singing it. Turns out it was a purple finch. A big voice for a little bird! Enjoy your nice weather! Ours is pretty nice as well. Finally! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your new houseplant does, indeed, sound like a good one to have around. Like you, I will nurture them for so long until one day I realize they have to go.
    I generally think of sparrows as ordinary looking birds. The golden crown on this one really does make it a beauty. Glad you were able to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great house plant. I have a tendency to over water plants.
    He is a handsome fellow with the spot of yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love when the birds come to visit. Many years ago, we had sparrows nest in a pedestal birdhouse on our porch in Illinois. It was so sweet to see the babies waiting to be fed. Then,they were grown and ready to fly away. We'd wait for a new family every spring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooh pretty bird, never seen one of those. Great picture.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful sparrow! A plant you can't overwater sounds perfect to me. I've added another plant to the mix here too. I'm enjoying having plants again. I'm sorry I've missed some posts but it's been craziness here this week. Hopefully next week I can get back on track.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never seen such a sparrow! Ours are very drab, bless 'em, but very lively. I would love that fern you found. Overwatering houseplants is a severe brown-thumb fault of mine...

    ReplyDelete
  14. An easy house plant is the best kind. That's a beautiful Golden-Crowned Sparrow. We see them here from time to time, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know we have lots of species of sparrows around here but I've never heard mention of that one. What a special event to have a visit from one!

    ReplyDelete