Tuesday 9 August 2022

Chit Chat

 


 The snake picture is from 12 years ago when we were in a long drought. It has nothing to do with today's post.  

Thank you Far Side and others  for explaining why I'm having trouble posting comments on certain blogs. I'll just keep trying.

About the kiwi jam. Dianna was wondering if it was hard to make. Not at all. I found a recipe at www.vegetariantimes.com which called for 4 cups of sugar, 4 lbs of chopped kiwis, and 1/4 cup lemon juice. Boil 15 minutes or until thickened. I of course didn't follow the recipe. I used less sugar and didn't boil as long as the recipe said. I mixed up a bit of cornstarch and thickened it that way.  Because we make jam as needed I keep it in the fridge and it keeps well there.  We go through a lot of jam. Besides toast I've been known to use jam to sweeten my porridge or on waffles. 

It's cooler today so I dug up 3 clumps of Irises in order to get all the lamium out from between the tubers (Rhizomes?)  got some fresh dirt then put the Irises back into the ground (after cutting the leaves down).

Because it's cooler I baked a fruit cobbler. I didn't bother with posting a picture. It looked like an ordinary cobbler.   Now I'm going to sit down with my library book and have a relaxing afternoon.

If you're still here-- thanks for coming by,  GM

 

 



21 comments:

  1. Except for that lousy snake ... simple pleasures ( I hate snakes...even pictures lol).
    Sounds like a great day for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool picture of the snake getting a drink!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... fresh from the oven cobbler and a book. Sounds perfect to me! Except the snake... I do not like snakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dorothea Stuffer9 August 2022 at 16:30

    Simple pleasures are important !!

    O the poor snake was so very thirsty - - -

    Kiwi jam is delicious! Thank you for writing the recipe!

    Valuable blogpost!

    I love to read: "of course didn't follow the recipe." this is creative cooking!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Granny, believe me....I would much rather have seen a picture of your cobbler!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm all for simple pleasures especially in this intense heat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss making jam since I got my diabetes warning :( But I am taking my frozen figs to my mother's house to make jam for her instead! Not loving that snake, GM!!! It seems like nearly the whole world is in some sort of a drought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Mum was good at making Jams- Mulberry, Marmilade, Apricot...all delicious on buttered toast for breakfast. I like reading your Post- and find what you do very interesting G.M.. Regards. KEV. (Australia).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a busy lady! Oh, I was that way once when I was young and full of energy. Now days I enjoy sitting and reading, checking my blog and a lot of other things on the computer. But, I remember those busy days very well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Snakes have to make a living too! :-) I love the picture. Just a tad of jam makes all the difference! We have oriental pears that make the best preserves with little extra sugar needed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hilltop post above on the snake and pears! Keep forgetting that I have to add that when posting from my iPad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In any case, I wish you a lot of fun reading... unfortunately I don't know what a "fruit cobbler" is... when I think of your pastry, it was delicious - no matter what it looked like... maybe you have muse - I love to read recipes and I love to bake :-)
    Hug

    ReplyDelete
  13. you are right about the black eyed- thy are hardy, and faithful, they transplant nicely also. So pretty for this time of year. My Zinnias are about one foot tall, I can tell you that they don't like the extreme heat/humidity, and get a little weepy. Maybe you just have really lovely,heavy flowers, which isn't a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't imagine calling any cobble ordinary. Extra ordinary and heaven in the mouth, that's more like it . . . enjoy the "fruits" of your labor . . . yum :) That first photo gave my skin goose bumps, I have always had a huge fear of snakes, all kinds.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the picture of the thirsty snake! A jar of jelly, or jam, here lasts a long long time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is so hot here that we stay inside!
    Kiwi jam must be good I will have a try

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are enjoying ice-cream at the moment as it's been so hot here ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like a good dollop of jam on my muesli sometimes. I always feel it is much better than sugar as it is half fruit so it must have some nutrition in it, right? I usually make chutney when there is a glut of kiwifruit, but jam sounds good.
    Had to laugh when you said you tweaked the jam recipe as I never follow a recipe and am always making my own changes to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am sure your cobbler was lovely and you should have posted a photo!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love to see your snake! It is a beautiful one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We don't go through a super lot of jam...not near as much as when I was a kid. My husband likes peanut butter and jelly on pancakes sometimes. A cobbler sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete