Thursday 11 August 2022

Flowers

Thank you for the kind comments on my last post. Sorry that the snake picture caused uncomfortable feelings. I think because we just have harmless garter snakes I don't find them too creepy.

I have a Tiger Lily growing right at the front of the flowerbed. I don't remember planting it but  it is thriving and getting more stalks every year.   It's right beside the arbour and path that winds through the flower bed.


 Except that the path is almost impossible to walk on without stepping on Morning Glories and Nasturtiums that are taking over. The Rudbeckia on the left is another volunteer that seems very happy with its chosen spot. If one does manage to get  through the arbour there's some Allysum growing in the cracks and farther on the path is totally blocked by the Clematis that reached the top of the 7' trellis and began to come back down again. It's absolutely covered with flowers.  It's all a bit chaotic but I like it that way.


 I discovered another volunteer which looked pretty and harmless but upon looking it up I found that it was Creeping Bellflower (C. Rapunculoides),  a very invasive member of the Campanula family.. I made sure to dig it out and tried to get all the bits of roots which apparently will grow given half a chance. I welcome most volunteers but not this one.


 Isn't it amazing that summer is passing so quickly and we're already a third of the way through August? Good thing I love Autumn, and September and October are my favourite months. Do you look forward to Fall or are you sorry to see summer go? Personally I'm tired of the heat.

Thanks for visiting,  Have a lovely Friday.  G.M.




15 comments:

  1. Love the cottagey feeling in your garden, with everything growing so rampantly. And your tiger lilies are spectacular :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Summer is passing far too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dorothea Stuffer12 August 2022 at 01:37

    Fall slowly is approaching - -

    I LOVE the beautiful late-summer flowers in your garden. I would like to cut some for our church. 💗 💜 💖 💗 💜 💖

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely floral beauty in your garden! I also love autumn, just like you. I look forward. Also because it is not as hot as in August (we have a heat wave and everything is very dry, water level too low, etc.). Your lilies are so beautiful! My neighbor also has them and when the sun rises in the morning they light up.

    I like it so much that you take the trouble to read my Dutch blog with the help of the translate button. I want to say thank you for that. It means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so love the "overgrown" look in a flower bed. I am envious that your morning glory is in bloom - mine is taking over the arbor but there are no flowers, just foliage! I have mixed feelings about summer - it is so fleeting on the prairies. All winter long I wait for summer as I don't like the cold and now when that it's hot, I am so grateful for the air conditioning. Hmmm, I'm always sad to see the days get shorter as our summer winds down but am happy for the reprieve from processing the veggies from the garden. I made pickles this morning and now have beans that need to be blanched and frozen. And in 2 days, it'll be a repeat. I notice that the dollar stores in town are all set up with their autumn displays. I even saw some Halloween candy out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty...and like your autumn signature card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've said it before but I LOVE your garden - it is beautiful!!!! It always reminds me of an English country garden and they are my very favorite gardens.
    I really do like all the seasons and don't have a favorite. Love things about each season. We don't get real hot summers so I don't want summer to hurry along. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love autumn and september and october is also my favourite months! The colors and the fresh air...
    Your garden looks fantastic!
    Love from Titti

    ReplyDelete
  9. I missed your last post! I like the snake picture! Beautiful flowers!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your flowers are just beautiful....everything seems very lush and growing well where you are. We have had a beautiful summer here with very comfortable temps and very few thunderstorms but ample rain. I love the fall but it is a very short season here....many years winter has arrived by mid-October and I don't think I'm ready for that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful post. If only I could walk through your trellis, I would be oh so careful not to step on your lovely flowers. Nasturtiums are taking over: oh you lucky girl! That was one flower that succumbed to the heat here this summer. My mother used to scold me for "wishing my life away," so I will very quietly say that, Yes, I am so ready for fall. The hot, hot weather this summer has just about worn me out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am always sorry to see summer go -- and around here schools are already starting. I am sad for the kids. But it will feel like summer for another month in this part of California.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an awesome garden you have! Love the tea cups and saucers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am not going back to read the snake blog! Your garden is lovely! Yes that Creeping Bellflower will take over given half a chance. I have some at the edge of the woods and it is okay there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would never have dreamed that Creeping Bellflower was invasive...not from looking at it. it is so pretty.

    I LOVE fall, too.

    ReplyDelete