Saturday 4 August 2018

Blueberry Platz

My background is Mennonite and a very common coffee-cake like sweet is Platz. It can be made with any fruit but I made mine this morning using Blueberries because they are a favourite with my sons and they're going to be helping out here this afternoon. After the neighbour getting some of his trees cut down the gutters on that side of the house need a good cleaning. This will involve one son holding the shop Vac and the other directing the vacuum hose ( all this on a fairly steep roof. Yes, I'm worried!)
When that is done and they both survive I want them to dig out a row of old overgrown and shabby-looking Hostas. So you see that some reward is called for. In case you are interested in the recipe I will include it.


                                   Fruit Platz

Base: 1/3 cup butter
          1/2 cup sugar
          1 egg
          2 cups flour
          1 Tbsp. baking powder
          pinch of salt
         1 cup milk
         1 tsp. Vanilla

Mix butter and sugar. Add the egg and mix well.
Combine dry ingredients and add to the first
mixture alternating with the milk.

Put half of this batter into each of two 8X8 pans
 which have been greased or lined with parchment.

Cover the base liberally with fruit.
Now comes the topping.

Mix  2 Tbsp. butter with 3/4 cup brown sugar,
(you can decrease the sugar if you like things less sweet).
1 cup flour plus a tsp cinnamon.
You may have to use your fingers to
make this into crumbs. 
Sprinkle over the fruit.
Bake 40 minutes ( if using frozen fruit
it may take an additional 5 or 10 minutes).

If you do try this recipe let me know how it turned out.
I remember my Mom making it often using rhubarb from our garden.

Thanks for popping by,

Granny M.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe-it looks and sounds delicious! Hope everything goes well with the gutter cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness you have strong young men to do the scary ladder chore. And it is a good thing you made two of those because you have strong young men! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that looks SO good! We love blueberries and I have an abundance in the freezer, along with some other fruits. I have copied this recipe and will be using it frequently.

    I'm certain your sons enjoyed their reward for the things they've done for you today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks amazing! Your sons are so lucky to have you!! X Chy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good base for any summer fruit.
    I hope everyone escaped injury and enjoyed the platz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope all goes well with the cleaning of the gutters. Such a wonderful reward, it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter Brianne and grandson Jacob often comment on your wonderful baking and amazing garden and how lucky they are to have you and your family in their lives

    ReplyDelete
  8. That blueberry platz looks delicious. We are under a weather statement for a period of prolonged heat but once it gets cooler, I think I will try that recipe. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made a cherry platz several months ago and we loved it. Looking at your photo I think I'm going to have to try one with blueberries!

    ReplyDelete