Wednesday 8 January 2020

Books

I've done it again.  I had just decided I was not going to buy any more books until I had read the ones I already had on my "unread stack" when what did I do but buy some more this morning. I went with good intentions. I had a number of bags and boxes to bring to the thrift store and merely walked through the book area. Mistake!  I love "coffee table" type books with lots of colour photos and information and this book of most lovely houses and interiors of houses fits the bill perfectly!!
And, the price of books is so reasonable at thrift stores... so I gave in.



Holyland Journey also has photos and so much information. I have taken some pictures of a few pages but they didn't turn out very well.  Nevertheless you get the idea.





This cute little booklet reminded me of Susan Branch . It has 25 ideas for simple craft projects that I doubt I'll ever make but will enjoy looking at. It was half price which ended up being 13 cents.


This one has stories of the various families that lived in Niverville, Manitoba, a prairie town where our family had a number of relatives. The LeBlanc school and the students and their families that lived nearby in the 1930's and 40's are the subject here. I love reading about how the people lived and struggled with life in those hard years.


This is my library book which I mentioned in my last post but failed to give any info on.
This is part of  the description on the back of the book: "In 1938, eighteen-year-old Phyllis Elsworth packs her bags, says good-bye to her anxious parents and sets off from her quiet seaside home ....to train as a nurse. At first, it is a whirlwind of long days, hard work, and new friends, but just ten months later Britain declares war on Germany and life at the hospital is transformed. Phyll's days become an endless cycle of air-raid sirens, injured servicemen, and anxiously waiting for news of loved ones"

I definitely recommend  this book.   It was first published in 2015 so is a fairly recent book and should be available.



Besides going to the thrift store I am baking bread today and later will make a pot of soup for supper.  Soup and freshly baked bread on a winter evening...what can beat that?


Thanks for visiting,  G.M.

21 comments:

  1. Fresh hot soup and bread YUM! Cannot be beat, perfect for the weather of this time of year. We had it yesterday for supper, and I had the leftover for lunch. The HolyLand, always wanted to go since I was a young girl. I never will of coure, but the books pictures are interesting, good finds and good weather for a read. or two.....I've got something for Goodwill, hmm...wonder what I'll find? Maybe I'll just go through the drivethru.....????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for books, bread, and soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You found some good ones! I would enjoy them all, but would really love to flip through the pages of the first two. I've been trying to get back into reading more often, I have trouble these days staying focused which makes it hard to read. I would love to read Bandaging the Blitz, sounds like an interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I could have passed by the Martha's Vineyard book either. Susan Branch would be pleased. I thought Bandaging the Blitz was about a nurse. When I was a girl I read every book I could find about nurses. I really wanted to be a nurse and probably should have been.

    ReplyDelete
  5. those are beautiful and interesting books. You'll have fun thumbing through those. And soup and freshlt baked bread sound wonderful. It has gotten very cold and wet and dark here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter finds all her books in our charity shops, some not even read!
    We had soup for lunch today, lovely hot vegetable soup. I make a big batch and freeze it in small amounts for the Winter days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book about the nurse sounds very good to me. In fact all the books you bought look like books I would love to read. Good choices, Granny! Enjoy them all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Books are essential to the well-being of every discerning human so never stop buying them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I'm smiling ear-to-ear reading that you couldn't resist these books, even with the stack of unreads...I've done the exact same thing! The Martha's Vineyard and Holy Land books look so interesting. Enjoy!
    Blessings, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too well do I know about "walking past" books in a thrift shop! I justify my purchases by saying I can always donate them back again when I have read them, but I seldom do unless I discover I really don't like the book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The bread and soup sound lovely. We're under a winter storm watch for tomorrow night and Friday and you can already FEEL the snow in the air. It sounds strange, but it's true. I don't let myself walk through the books at thrift stores because I can't resist them and like you, I have so many unread books. I just bought the entire set of "The Borrowers" even though it's a childrens book. I've never read them so I intend to read them and then give them to my granddaughter, Piper, for her birthday. She loves books as much as the rest of us. :-)
    The book about the nurse looks really good though. Maybe I should check Amazon.....
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy. I was just about to comment on Granny Marigold's post when my eye caught your comment and I thought I would just add one of my own. I have read the entire set of "The Borrowers" even though they are meant for children and I enjoyed them tremendously! I do hope you'll be as enthralled with them as I was!
      Ellabie

      Delete
  12. Home-made bread, hot soup and a good book . . . Sounds like the perfect way to spend a cold winter's day :). Wish I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love seeing the stuff you find at thrift stores, especially the books and tea cups. I would totally love that next to last one. And then the last one. I would like to look at the others, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm like that with books also but the library is where I get mine. Can't beat the price!! : ) Know I can't keep them but I'd have no room to keep them all!!
    We're having soup today too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH what lovely books!!! I am so glad for your find and that one from MB where your family hails is esp special!! great finds!!! Yay! OH I wish I could have homemade bread and soup for dinner~! sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nothing better than homemade soup, bread and a wonderful book! Books are always such a good resource and company!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can totally relate to your book buying. I have done the same thing many times. It is amazing what one can find at the thrift shops now as so many people seem to have lost interest in books. The prices are so good it makes it hard to resist. I rationalize that I can buy books for less money than a magazine would cost. Soup and homemade bread is the perfect food for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes bread, soup and a good book!! That is a great day! One of the bloggers I follow Larry's Creative Zone went on a trip to The Holy Land recently it was very interesting:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy reading.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Homemade bread and soup is a winter dinner staple here! You got some interesting books... I love the Gooseberry Patch books. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete