Thursday 8 April 2021

Unsuccessful shopping trip

 

My trip to buy perennials yesterday was not a success. It was cold and wet and there was a long line up to enter because only a limited number of people were allowed in at a time.  Once inside I found that there were hardly any perennials out and the only thing I bought that was on my "list" were 3 tiny white Bleeding hearts. I did buy some annuals that I will keep inside until the weather warms up. Also bought a variety of small herb plants at .99 each.

At Home Hardware I bought a number of bags of relatively good soil at half price because they were torn. I like to mix it with our compost for containers and also when putting in new plants.

 


 About the big house  in yesterday's post...  This type of very large house is what we see being built in this area.  Almost always it will be built by an East Asian family. Three generations will live in it and there's always a large rental suite in the basement . This means many vehicles so lots of parking is needed and the front yard is usually all tiled. There are rules about how much of your lot you can cover with concrete or asphalt  hence the tiles. (We get so much rain in winter and tiles allow the rain to soak in while concrete results in flooded streets.)

It's chilly again today but the forecast is for some nicer weather coming so we hope that comes to pass.


Thanks for coming by,  GM



10 comments:

  1. Sorry you weren't able to get the plants you wanted but nice score on the soil! I hope it warms up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been plant shopping yet but I did get seeds and starter dirt today. Let the gardening begin!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well at least the shopping trip wasn't a total loss and you did get something.
    Sounds like noisy and LOTS of neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have those giant, multigenerational houses here in our neighborhood too, sitting next to small, original houses built long ago. I'm not a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a good buy on the bags of soil and the herbs, but I wish the perennials hadn't been picked over! I don't know what to think about those big houses being built!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no I was looking for new ideas to fill a couple of spaces in my little shanty garden. I have only bought three little pots of herbs to replace those that I lost this winter. Rosemary of course, thyme and sage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have been so happy with the soil...but disappointed about the plants.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Huh - I've lived her my (almost) whole life and did not know that about the driveway tiles! Makes sense for sure.
    - Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  9. De tijd om in de tuin te werken komt vanzelf weer, het is een kwestie van geduld hebben en wachten op warmer weer.
    De eenjarige en en zomergoed planten wij na 15 mei( na ijsheiligen)
    En dan nog zal ik pas weer naar de kweker of tuincentrum gaan wanneer er 2 vaccinaties in mijn bovenarm zitten.

    Fijn weekeind,
    Ger

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a shame there were so few perennials available - can you purchase them online? I know people do that, but personally I always like to see first-hand what I am buying :)

    ReplyDelete