Wednesday 7 July 2021

Daylilies and Other Blooms

 

 A number of my early blooming Daylilies were infected by the dreaded Gall Midge and I tried to find every bud that was distorted , sealed them in a plastic baggie then put them in the garbage. Here are some pictures of the ones that are blooming now. Thanks to my DIL for creating this collage.

 


She also created this collage of pictures I took of other flowers in my garden.



I watched her do it but I can't say that I'm ready to try it on my own. I'd probably manage to erase my entire blog.

It's a bit cooler today thanks to a light cloud cover. We walked early just in case it got warm. Quite a few people must have had the same idea.

Often when we've noticed crows making a fuss we've gone to see what they were upset about. Today they were harassing 2 young raccoons up high in a tree. Of course I didn't have my camera along and with all the leaves I doubt I would have managed to get a clear picture.

Thanks for visiting today,   GM



14 comments:

  1. Stunning flowers!!! Absolutely gorgeous. I don't know what this Gall Midge is tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a tiny fly (midge) that lays its eggs in the Daylily buds. The maggots feed on the unopened buds causing them to be distorted. They never open. When the maggots are ready they fall to the ground and the next year the whole cycle starts over. The idea is to destroy the affected buds before the maggots develop.

      Delete
  2. Your flowers are all so beautiful! I'm glad DIL did the grids for you. Have a great evening! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of those daylilies.....they're so beautiful and colorful. You have great flowers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cooler weather is easier to live in, that's for sure! Beautiful flowers in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, beautiful flowers. I love your daylilies and all of your other flowers. Your garden must be absolutely stunning.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden must look stunning with all those gorgeous flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful assortment of flowers. I am rather fond of the Tiger Lillies, they are so prolific and if Rosebud and her crew don't eat them, they stay around a good while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The collages highlight the beauty of your garden flowers. Your daughter did good :).
    That gall midge sounds dreadful. I grew day lilies in my last house and have never heard of this. I hope you were able to remedy the problem as you have a really nice assortment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi G.M. Your Flowers are beautiful for sure. When we have Crows about here - it usually means rain is on the way. Best Wishes. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the collages your DIL made! Pretty enough to be on calendars or framed! Sorry to hear about the midge infestation. I just have one daylily, a Stella d'Oro, and it made only 4 blooms this year due to that early cold snap that nipped it. But midges are much worse!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful flowers from your garden.
    Maybe those raccoons were stealing eggs out of the bird's nest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad to see that you managed to save some of your daylilies. Somehow I was under the impression that you had had to dig them all out to clear your garden of them. So happy that I was mistaken! Lovely collage!
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those daylilies are so very beautiful and colorful. Love your stunning collages.

    ReplyDelete