Monday 12 July 2021

Herbs

 I've started a little herb garden behind the house. So far I have planted Winter Savoury, Sage, and Rosemary.  There was already several plants of Thyme growing here. Also self-sown lavender which I just cannot make myself remove.  There are tomato plants up against the house and one in that black pot.  A couple of volunteer squash or pumpkin plants are growing near the old fountain in the corner. My daughter made the sign on an old board which I carried home from one of our walks much to the chagrin of DH.


Lavender growing in the cracks.


On the other side of this little path is a now mostly empty bed where the Daylilies grew. The ones that I had to get rid of.  In that bed there are tomatoes growing in the back, against the house and several self-sown Summer Savoury plants as well as 3 clumps of Chives.


This is my gardening journal. I try to keep it up-to-date but often forget to do so. I have a different one which is actually a photo album for 5 X 7 photos. I use that one to keep the tags that come with plants that I buy.



 Another week begins and we're getting close to the middle of the month already.  Don't we all wish Winter would pass as quickly as Summer does?  Or maybe just have Summer slow down.  

Thanks for coming by today. I always like to read any comments so please let me know how your summer is going.  GM

16 comments:

  1. Here in south Texas we long for winters (it's usually like early summer for you). I LOVE the idea of a gardening journal. I see that maybe you can look back and see what did well for any season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sign and you herb garden. Herbs are the only thing I've ever been able to grow with success. It's spring that I always wish lasted longer, much much longer! Have a great week GM. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme. Those are my three favorite herbs. I have three or four different sages and love them all. I always say, "Just bury me in a bed of rosemary." I love your old sign. Now that was worth carrying home. And, I also love your garden journals; sure would like to sit down and look through both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice herb garden you have going with a good variety.
    Our summer is just great. Summers here are just like one long spring - we don't get that extreme heat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BIG SUMMER! What a fine herbs-garden! I like the garden book with the nice drawings. Slowly the days becomes shorter, time is runnung. How can we slow down?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun to come and read your blog Granny! Your herb garden looks great! We had 7 baby ducks hatch at my daughter's house in Southern Wisconsin yesterday, and they're all different colors! So cute. Hope they will all do well. She has contacted a friend who lives on a farm and they are excited to take them in the next couple of weeks. Summer is moving along pretty fast here too....at least we're not smelling the smoke from the fires North of us....at least not yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Diane. Those ducklings must be adorable.

      Delete
  7. A great looking herb garden and I love the wooden sign. You have inspired me to make one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great garden. I love to see your garden journal.
    My summer? It is not so hot but clammy.
    It is raining.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pretty gardening journal! I love to collect journals...but don't always use them! I like your herb bed and the sign. I can imagine your hubby wondering why you're hauling old wood home from your walk, lol. I wish I'd grown a few things this summer. Yes, it is flying by! Thanks for sharing in my grandbaby excitement! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your herb garden looks great. I love the sign that you and your daughter collaborated on. How nice to have volunteer lavender plants.
    Your garden journal is so pretty. They are nice to look back on from year to year. I always start out good in the spring updating mine, but as the season progresses I seem to get lazy about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also have an herb garden it is useful for cooking. I love your book, well decorated!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My once herb garden has changed and is now just a corner of one of our raised beds, but I do like cooking with fresh herbs.
    I like your sign. And there is just something cool about seedlings growing in cracks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Handig zo'n kruidentuin bij huis, niks lekkerder dan vers geknipte kruiden om de maaltijden op smaak te brengen.

    Ik heb ook verschillende kruiden in potten op een plank aan de muur waar ze half schaduw half zon krijgen.

    Lieve groet,Ger

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your garden and your journal are both lovely. A garden journal is so handy when one wants help remembering facts or beauties from the previous seasons and years.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your journal is so pretty! I kept one very briefly, but plants are just not my thing, as they are yours :) Your herb bed looks lovely -- how astounding to have lavender just pop up and volunteer in the cracks!! Oh, I wish!! :) I hope all's well with you, GM. I'm quite ready for summer to be over and for cool sweater weather to arrive!

    ReplyDelete