Thursday 17 February 2022

A Busy Day

 

 

Busy morning with grocery shopping being done today instead of our usual Friday. DH wants to be there tomorrow to help deal with 5000 lbs of onions  that Gleaners received. We all know that onions are a very important ingredient in soup.


 

After we got home all the groceries had to be put away. Before we left we had unplugged our very old second fridge in order to defrost it.  That got done then DH helped me and we made a Date Square        ( matrimonial  squares).  I found this interesting little bit on google.

Why is it called matrimonial cake?

Some feel it is called matrimonial cake because of the two separate layers brought together by dates which symbolizes two people courting and solidifying the relationship in marriage. Others feel that the smooth and rough textures of the date squares represent the easy and difficult times of a marriage.

 


picture from the internet

 

 

These two unusual sets today. The first one made by Adeline Co and the second by Teaopia. I have never heard of either of those companies.  I found them at the thrift store ( of course) and they were quite inexpensive so I thought I'd add them to my collection.




Betsy___ About that Hydrogen Peroxide mix. You water the affected plant enough to completely wet the soil and that should kill all the gnats and their larvae. It shouldn't be necessary to repeat the process..

I'm watching my plants carefully to see if any look wilted or otherwise affected negatively. Also I haven't seen any gnats yet today. So I'm hoping I killed them all.
 

 

Granny M


17 comments:

  1. Interesting cups and saucers.
    That's a lot of onions! Interesting information about the matrimonial cakes/date squares. They look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Extraordinary cups!!! Love the swirl of the handles & square saucers. Very unique. These are my favorites so far!!!

    Yes, onions in soup and so many dishes for meals. Without them, bland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a big amount of onions!!

    The cake has an interesting name, and your stories for this name are funny :)

    The cup has a special handle :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW that sure is a lot of onions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell us more about the Gleaners DH is involved with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very unusual teacups and saucers, but they're pretty. Never seen so many onions. Your husband sure is nice to help you with so many things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cups! Such an interesting shape and pretty patterns too. I can only imagine how many tears your Hubby is going to shed tomorrow. Bless his and the other gleaners hearts for doing all of this work for others. (And I mean that in the BEST way.) The Date Squares look yummy. I think the stories of the name are hilarious but pretty apt.
    And thank you for the note for me at the bottom. I think I'll try that when I water my plants this weekend. I've only seen a few gnats, but where there are a few, there are probably many yet to come. :-)
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute cup and saucer sets. I love their unusual shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an unusual cup with an amazing handle, what a great addition to your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too would love to know more about the Gleaners.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never seen teacups like those...they are so.unusual. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the plant wash update! So interesting!
    I have never heard of matrimonial cake. It looks yummy.
    Those saucers! At first I thought they were matching napkins. I've never seen plates like that before. Those are beautiful sets.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey dear! Loved your post and allready followed your blog, i want invite you to visit and follow my blog back <3

    www.pimentamaisdoce.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very unusual tea sets, interesting! Wow that is a bunch of onions. My husband cannot handle onions in any form it bothers his breathing

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those hostess sets used to be very popular. I have two old ones, made in Japan, from my mother-in-law. They are great for having a snack along with tea. Easier to handle than a teacup and saucer plus a plate. Matrimonial squares are a long time tradition in my family. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never seen those tea sets! Intresting! Those handles are so different! pretty though! I love date squares! My Mom makes them every year for her sister's birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What interesting teacup sets those two are. For some reason, they remind me a bit of the Garden Party in Alice in Wonderland :)

    ReplyDelete