Friday 18 February 2022

Chit Chat and Gleaners

 

 


 Since some of us in the family get together on Sunday afternoons to play Dominoes almost without fail I thought this picture was  appropriate, after all, it's almost the weekend again.

It's an overcast day but not unpleasant at all.  Walked around the lake, saw the swans again also a large number of Northern Shovelers. 


After I came back I took some time to cut down perennials that were missed last Fall, did a bit of raking then my back told me to quit so I did.. 

The Furry Gnome and also Elizabethd asked about Gleaners where my dear  husband (DH) volunteers 4 mornings a week.  I've taken some information from Fraser Valley Gleaners website and copied and pasted it here but for more info please visit their site.

 

 As a registered Canadian charity, FVG is both volunteer-run and donor-driven. On a daily basis, volunteers from many walks of life give of their time and energy to slice, dice, scrape, and mix our product.     

Fresh and frozen produce is picked up by our volunteer drivers on a daily basis. The volunteer staff next transform this produce into a cut-up, ready-for-the-dryer mix that will spend anywhere from 8 to 10 hours in an industrial-size drying unit.  The dried product is then scraped and barreled in anticipation of a future “mixing” date.

Once we have an entire season’s worth of dried items for our soup mix, the mixing lines are set up and several of the winter months are devoted to transforming individual barrels of vegetables into a tasty just-add-water soup mix.
In this same time period, we also complete the bagging of dried apple snacks.

Where It Goes  

FVG Soup Mix and FVG Apple Snacks are distributed throughout the developing world.  In recent years our product has made its way to over 40 countries.  In order to ensure that each bag of soup mix is distributed into the hands of those in greatest need, we work with a variety of distribution networks - including reputable relief and development agencies, individual missionaries, and short-term outreach teams.
**********

I should explain about the apple snacks. I believe apples are the only fruit that Gleaners dries. The apple snacks are sent along with the soup mix for the children in the needy countries that receive the soup.

. I can't remember how much soup one large bag of mix makes but it's a LOT.  In case you wonder why the soup can't be used in our country to feed the hungry there's a law against it.  Seems strange but that's the way it is.

I hope this was not too long a post and if you're still here Thanks for visiting today!!

 

Reply to L J  Lowe   
Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm having trouble posting comments on some blogs and I found that yours is another one where it isn't possible. I'm so sorry and I'll keep trying.



19 comments:

  1. Thank you for the information about the Gleaners. I was curious too. It sounds like a wonderful project and charity to be involved in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, that was most interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing that information about the Gleaners. I am so impressed with what the organization does. What a worthwhile cause! It especially frustrates me when I see that grocery stores must dispose of canned foods when they hit their "best before" date - there would be so many organizations and/or families who would benefit from this and let's face it, that food is still totally usable!
    I can hardly believe that you are already weeding and cutting down debris! Here we are experiencing yet another blizzard. There is a snowdrift that measures about 4 feet tall that is covering my garden area - it will be awhile before I am out there again!
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post about the Gleaners. My dad volunteers there once a week. It does such great work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had wondered about Gleaners too. I'm glad you wrote about it. It sounds like a really great thing and it's so nice that your hubby volunteers there. Have a great weekend and have fun with your family on dominoes day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting on how all this is produced. Love the shoveler (so clear an great contrasting)

    AND that clock made of dominoes...excellent!!! I want one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like the domino clock. We love playing Mexican Train!
    What a beautiful duck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks. That explains it well. Sound like a worthy endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post is not long compared to mine!!! I enjoyed every single bit of this post. Reading about the gleaners was very interesting and I loved learning about feeding those that need it. It's seems strange that you aren't allowed to distribute it in your own country.
    I like the clock picture. You need to have one of these for your family dominoes afternoon.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed reading about Gleaners. I too had wondered about this. We used to play dominoes when the kids were home. Now, it would be just the two of us which might be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a great organization. How wonderful to learn more about the soups and apple snacks that are sent all over the world

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a great photo of the Morthern Shoveler. I think my brother and his wife volunteer at a place similar to.the Gleaners. Or they used to...not sure if they still do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was great to read about the soup making. It is an important job they do, in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This organisation is a very good project! Congratulations! My respect, that your husband also helps to bring this delicious soup-mixture to peole, who can need it urgently. Appelsnacks are a fine sweet for children and for all. My husband made applesnacks in autumn, too, so we have all The year good healthy sweets!

    Domino is a fine play, I know this from my childhood. Maybe I'll find some Domino-stones to reactivate this play again?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds an excellent organisation, thank you for sharing the details.

    All the best Jan

    PS Meant to say, I like the domino clock.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting post and I just love that picture of the bird...
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds like one very worthwhile charity to volunteer for. I can imagine the soup and apples would be very much appreciated by hungry families.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank your husband for the volunteer work he does there! Too bad about the law that says it cannot stay in Canada:(

    ReplyDelete