Friday 29 July 2022

Christmas and Bindweed

Another extremely hot day. DH was kind enough to drive me to the library to pick up a book I had requested. Christmas with Rosamunde Pilcher. I know it's an unusual choice of reading material for July. I've taken this book out a number of times through the years and always find reading about her growing up in Scotland and the Scottish traditions surrounding Christmas so relaxing and pleasant. She includes lots of photos and recipes as well.



On our early morning walks by the lake I've been admiring the lovely but very invasive Bindweed.
It is capable of  creating endless trouble in the garden once it takes hold.  It is also known as perennial Morning Glory. It looks fine covering fences in the park with its pure white flowers ( although the internet tells me it can also have pink blooms I've only ever seen white ones).





Thanks for coming by today. I'm off to read my book and think about winter and Christmas instead of how warm I am.


GRANNY M


12 comments:

  1. Christmas is a very special feast! ❤️😊🙏🌲🎄❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book sounds delightful and the bindweed is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Field Bindweed is awful and it can grow really fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have added Christmas to my possible reading list. When you recommend a book it's usually a good one. I am already wanting to reread Hannah Hauxwell, which was one of your recommends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosamunde Pilcher is a super writer. i havent seen that book though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bind weed is pretty ...and pretty invasive!! The book sounds like a great read. My 'newest' favorite book with a Christmas theme is mr.dickens and his carol. Lots of twists from the classic. Great ending!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like a nice book, and why not Christmas in July as long as you love it :) We see Bindweed on our daily walks too. They are beautiful out in the nature, but I can see they may be a trouble in the gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bindweed is such a nuisance that I can't even think of it as pretty. Interesting, because if it was a wanted, cultivated flower we would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rosamunde Pilcher writes beautiful stories. We also have films of her on TV.

    I read in July some very beautiful Christmas-legends of Selma Lagerlöf (Sweden). Why not in summer!

    Blindweed covers all the plants - this is not so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. After this HOT summer its refreshing to read a book about Christmas :)
    Love from Titti

    ReplyDelete
  11. That book looks wonderful! I hope our library has it too. It would be perfect right now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the blooms on the Bindweed are pretty but they do take over if not contained. My husband detests them. :)

    I will have to check out the book you mentioned. We both have Scottish heritage and I think it would be fun to read about Christmas in Scotland. My husband would enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete