Wednesday 27 July 2022

This and That

 Another cloudless morning sky. No doubt another hot afternoon. We hit 35C yesterday which is about 95F.  Too warm for my comfort.,  But walking at 7 was lovely. We saw a young raccoon up a tree  (crows drew our attention to it as they were making a big fuss.), also 5 rabbits and two turtles. This time of the year turtles come up on to the shore to lay their eggs. This one had come as far as the parking lot.
Western Painted Turtles are apparently an endangered species and we're fortunate to have a population at Mill Lake.


I found these 2 glass containers at the thrift store. I think they're perfect for storing icing sugar and also brown sugar. Of course this led to a little rearranging in my pantry.



Last but not least is this tiny cherry tomato, the first of the season. I was watering them this morning and I noticed there's also some Midnight Snack that are ripe. As you'd expect with a name like that they turn black when ripe..  The tiny green bean is also a first of the season. I think we'll let them get a bit bigger before we pick them.


I hope you're having a good week. Thanks for coming by,  GM

14 comments:

  1. It's 1:00 and I think I'm inside for the rest of the day. I sat out on the patio to read the paper after getting back from a
    Costco shopping trip but each day the concrete absorbs a little more heat, and now inside is just more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely! those glass jars look perfect for the task you gave them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, let me get this straight...the tomato turns black when ripe?!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love the picture of the turtle. Haven't seen one around here in a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have two of those jars too and I got them at a thrift store. One holds cookies and one holds my homemade laundry soap. You have lots of interesting critters in your neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dori, Bavarian Forest27 July 2022 at 16:36

    We also had 35 degrees last days. For me also some degrees too hot! But summer is beautiful in the morning and in the evening. -The forest is thirsty -

    Special animals you can watch on your way. Great!

    White and brown sugar make a nice decoration in these jars.

    Your plants make fruits to enjoy your family. Funny small tomato !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those glass containers are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems turtles don't always plan wisely in the places they lay their eggs. Your pantry looks so neat and clean. Ours is in need of a good general cleaning. I enjoy the arranging and rearranging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess if I saw a turtle it would pretty much stop me in my tracks!! I would feel that I must sit down right there to be with it for a spell, or walk along with it...?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my garden is just starting to produce too. Everything is slow this year. . . too cold of a Spring season. I love turtles:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a Turtle when I was younger - I rescued him from land that was being developed for housing. I named the Turtle 'Hermie' and built a big Water Pen for him from Bricks and Stone- where he could swim an come ashore to rest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love glass containers like those. Your hollyhocks are so pretty (your last post).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful... you managed to take a nice photo of this pretty turtle.
    Your new glass containers are great.
    My tomatoes aren't ripe yet... I'm sure your first one was a treat :-) Greetings from Viola
    and a nice day for you.

    ReplyDelete