Thursday 14 July 2022

Thursday Chit Chat

July seems to be the month when strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and cherries all ripen at the same time.  Mostly I freeze the fruit for winter use. The freezer is almost full by now (definitely a first world problem).



Monday is my day to water my houseplants and check for dried leaves or bugs. Imagine my surprise when I saw that one of my Amaryllis had a big healthy flower stalk.  It may be one that didn't bloom in late winter like the rest did. It decided that now would be a good time to bloom and I think there's a second flower stalk coming up from the side of the bulb.
 

I found this birdhouse at the thrift store.  The roof is tin and the walls are some kind of wood. There's a pattern of grass and flowers on the side and it feels like that part is just paper. I put it in the shade area

 ( that has a metal roof so nothing gets any sunshine nor rain). It should do fine there. I doubt any bird will use it especially since there's a hole in the back just like the one in the front.


It's another sunny day. We sure don't take those for granted. But, a day of soft rain would be welcomed by the flowers and would refill the rain barrels. Speaking of which, I'm off to do some much-needed deadheading. I hope you're having a lovely day.


Granny M

14 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the fruit all coming on at the same time. We have had cherries, strawberries, currants, gooseberries, and blueberries and most of it went in the freezer. Now the red raspberries are turning. I will make jam with some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How amazing that your amaryllis is flowering now1 Very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That anarillys is so gorgeous. Your thrifty bird hose fits perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love cherries.
    Cute birdhouse.
    We've had a beautiful summer day too - more like spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been doing quite a bit of deadheading, or as I call it, snipping and clipping. Out with ths spring flowers, in with the summer. Now to keep it all happy with enough water.
    Your new bird house is decorative, if not habitable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice bird house! It's fine for decoration and for telling some message of happy life. The Amaryllis is a big surprise! O the berries and cherries! So fine!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute little birdhouse! I have a couple that I put on my mantle in the spring. I haven't purchased many berries this year. I need to get on that! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful haul of fruits for the winter. They look so cool and yummy. I also like the birdhouse. It looks so perfect nestled in the plants. It would be nice to think of a little bird family in there wouldn't it?
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi G.M....My Mother use to store up the Summer Mulberries and make loads of jarred Jam for Winter - simply delicious on toast with butter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cute birdhouse! We had rain in the area yesterday which helped with the power grid issue but we didn’t have any on our house. We really need some but I know how it works here — we don’t just have a nice rainy day — we have storms and threatening weather and I don’t look forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the amaryllis! Such a nice summer prize! Your indoor plants are beautiful just like your outside ones. How wonderful to have plant friends to talk to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that birdhouse and amaryllis is a Christmas flower here in Sweden!
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute birdhouse! I am sure deadheading keeps you plenty busy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. All of your plants look so happy and healthy. No wonder they even bloom out of season! You certainly have that green thumb! We've finally had lots of rain in the past week or so, after months of drought. Very thankful, but the grass needs mowing all the time now.

    ReplyDelete