Friday 10 February 2023

Friday Chit Chat

 


When I stand on my front stoop I can look down on my Hellebores. They're only an inch or so high but they are full of nice new growth.  Eventually they'll bloom and look at least somewhat like those glorious pictures  from the internet.
I'm baking bread this morning and in between other chores I'm reading. I'm rereading the Thrush Green books by Miss Read and enjoying them again. I love the descriptions of nature and weather. I have a friend who says she dislikes long descriptions and skips over them when she reads. To me they are a delight. Let me give you an example.  (Feel free to skip if you are not a fan).

From Winter in Thrush Green: "Rain continued to sweep the Cotswolds throughout November and the wooded hills were shrouded in undulating grey veils. The fields of stubble,which had lain, bleached and glinting, under the kind October sun, were being slowly and patiently plowed by panting tractors which traversed their length and and turned over rib after rib of earth glistening like wet chocolate."

Eldest daughter and Youngest Son are coming at lunch so I'll keep on with my housework and baking while sneaking in a few more pages of Miss Read.
Have a lovely weekend.   GM

16 comments:

  1. I've never been to the Cotswolds but the description recalls to mind Novembers in farming country. A clever author can set a scene so that the reader relates and feels involved, sort of 'in the picture.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy the long descriptions in books I read. You can really get lost in a book that way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd prefer a well-painted "picture" from an author, but short & precise.

    Enjoy your company!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good that your Hellebores are full of new growth.

    I must look into the Miss Read books, so many bloggers seem to enjoy them.

    Have a lovely weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heelebores are blooming, but I have lost a couple, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure, that your children had a very delicious lunch! When you love landscape you can enjoy the text telling about all around. My youngest son wrote some stories about different places in the world, where he was. I'm really surprised, how great the world is..

    Very nice flowers! We call them: Christ-Rose..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to skip over descriptions like that, but now I enjoy them so much. "Undulating grey veils" is such a good descriptive phrase. My hellebores are about the same as yours. Something to anticipate in the near future.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I so agree. There is no art finer than a beautifully written sentence. I have never underlined or written in the books I read, but I have been thinking that I may start doing that. On your suggestion, I recently ordered three of Miss Read’s books - Village School, Village Diary, Storm in the Village. I know you will keep a watchful eye on those hellebores. What fun! ❤️ Hilltop Post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. While I find those descriptions might be slightly overdone, i.e., "earth glistening like rich chocolate", for the most part I enjoyed them and do like some descriptions when reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I just looked into the Miss Read books and ended up ordering one online. Can't wait to read it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love descriptions like that. You have to slow down and drink them in to fully appreciate what they are saying, and that slowing down is always good in this rush-rush world of ours :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to be curious before I'll take the time to read long descriptions.
    I love your flowers! They'll be beautiful...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved the Thrush series and just finished the last book a little while ago.
    Now I'm reading the Fairacre ones.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the descriptions because it helps me form a picture in my mind of what's in the book! Hope you had a great lunch with your kiddos!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I went to Costwolds and it is a beautiful place. The book I read takes also place there and I love the descriptions of the people and the countryside. Good cooking, baking and reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The thrush green books sounds charming, I think I will buy one and read at Kindle. Have a nice Sunday! Marit

    ReplyDelete