Tuesday 7 February 2023

Thrift Store Treasures

 I found some small treasures at the thrift store. This doily set (properly called antimacassars) was marked down to a dollar. I have another one somewhere but this one needed a home.

The fashion for oiled hair became so widespread in the Victorian and Edwardian period that housewives began to cover the arms and backs of chairs with a washable cloth to prevent the fabric from being soiled. Around 1850 these started to be known as antimacassars.
Macassar  is a kind of oil formerly used, mainly by men, to give shine to their hair.


 Another object I bought for pennies was this mystery piece. It measures 9" by 15" and has ribbons attached on all 4 corners. The fabric is a soft flannelette and there is padding between the front and back.The decorations are made of felt which suggests it wasn't made for much washing. Anyone have a guess what in the world this was meant for?


 I did some housework this morning then after lunch went to the thrift store. Now It's time to sit down and read until it's time to think of supper.
I hope you're having a nice day.  Thanks for taking time to visit ,  GM

17 comments:

  1. Interesting sets! And somehow a funny story of former times :)
    Maybe the flannelette piece is a decoration to fix on a bed for a baby or somewhere else? ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew that doilies were used to prevent hair oil from getting on the furniture but I had never heard that anti thingofamajig they call it. You just never know when you are going to learn something fascinating. (and totally useless,, haha)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think it was made to store china in? A fancy serving piece used only now and again?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't have any idea what it could be used for. It will be interesting to see what people come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That mystery piece is so cute. I love the flowers on it...but have no clue what it's used for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A piece of soft flannel to wrap silverware maybe?
    I still use placemats for our couch...Bud has the oiliest of oily hair...naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, it looks like the ribbons are suppose to be tied together somehow...curious!
    And my grandmother had these on her sofa and chairs in the parlor.
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not a clue. Interesting about the furniture doilies:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Might it be a jewellery roll? Very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I didn't know that about doilies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No idea about the flannelette but I love the antimacassars. We may not have hair oil problems (much!) these days, but they look so quaint and romantic sitting on the furniture :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So that's where the name "antimacassar" came from. Interesting.
    It would be nice to know what that piece was originally used for. It sure is sweet and looks so clean.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, thanks for the history of Antimacassars! I had no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Might the mystery piece be a roll for storing silver cutlery? It's pretty - what will you use it for?

    ReplyDelete
  15. You learn something new every day! I have never heard of antimacassars before now. I have crocheted doilies on the arms of my couch, only because I love seeing them around the house. I can't imagine what the little flannel piece might be, it's very plain but I like it. You always find the neatest things at the thrift store!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I did not know the mane and story it’s interesting to know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Every piece of furniture in my grandmother's living room had those anti-whatchamacallits on them. She crocheted them and put them on the arms and back of any chair that had fabric on it... including the two chairs at the end of the dining room table!

    ReplyDelete