Sunday 26 February 2023

Snow and a Skirt

 The snow began yesterday and after snowing all night we had over 9 inches accumulated.  As we sat having breakfast we watched heavy loads of snow falling off the big pines in the back. It was so pretty.
So it's a quiet world out there with hardly any traffic.  A good day to stay inside and do very little.


For some reason I've been remembering certain articles of clothing from my childhood. A certain skirt that I loved and now wish I would have kept was a wool skirt with permanent pleats. It was reversible with blue and gray checks on one side and gray and blue on the other. I hope this makes sense because the sides were definitely different.  I looked for an example on line and this is the closest I could find. The one I had was like the skirt on the right with the pleats starting at the waist. As you can see, the one on the left has the first pleats sewn down.
 


   A dress that I had when I was a few years older was passed down to me from a sister-in-law.
   It was blue and white and had tucks sewn over the bodice much like this one, again from the internet.
   I wish I'd have kept that one as well.


 Do you have any articles of clothing you loved as a child and wish you would have kept? 


Thanks for visiting, GM

15 comments:

  1. Those wool pleated skirts were this thing when I was in high school. Girls with money had the Pendleton brand. Girls like me had JC Penny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a velvet dress that I loved, I dont know what happened to it. I still keep one of my daughter's dresses from when she was a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had several skirts similar to the one you had when I worked at Pendleton Woolen Mills. We were able to buy seconds from the employee store and since at the time I wore the same size as the samples, I had lots of clothes for barely any cost. I wish I could still fit them.
    I do love that dress though. That's exactly what I would wear nowdays if I had the figure for it. I miss the older styles of clothes.
    All our snow is gone from last week. We had 50F today and it's supposed to be in the 40's all week long.
    Blessings and love,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember those plaid pleated skirts as well and had a few of them. Do you remember wrap around skirts?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! That is a lot of snow and yes indeed a good reason to stay tucked inside. So very pretty! Oh I can remember when women wore nothing but pleated skirts. I love the older vintage look. So stylish. Hope that you stay warm and happy week to you GM. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. We really should not throw away certain clothes and other valuable things from former years. But like does what it wants! :)
    I remember similar skirts me and my sisters wore.

    The snow makes the world full of light and quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't remember any that I wore as a child...but as a young adult I had a beautiful navy blue full-length velvet jumper with white lace blouse with navy blue ribbon inserted in the lace that was so beautiful and I made it! Now....what ever happened to it? That's the question!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a beautiful snow! And, it will be so beneficial to your flower gardens and beds. There are several pieces of clothing from over the years that I wish I had kept. The main one is my wedding dress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lot of snow you have! A scant inch fell here and it's mostly gone now.

    I remember some clothes that my mother sewed for me - a plaid skirt with pleats similar to the one you wrote of, a pink velvet dress with a white lace collar, and various other items.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was single and spent my money on clothes I DID have a woolen skirt I wore a lot!! A very soft red(not bright), charcoal & cream plaid ...then, a soft red (same color as skirt) pull-over sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That is a plentiful snowfall making everything look so peaceful and pretty. We haven't even seen a flake this year so I am enjoying your photos.
    Interesting question about the clothes from our childhoods. I hadn't thought about it before, but now that I have, a pretty pink dress my mom made for me. I remember wearing it to my cousin's wedding and feeling so grown up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another thing I remember now....was mohair sweaters when I was in High School. Mine was a peach color...so pretty. Beautiful sweaters but also pretty itchy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember the very first outfit that I bought with my own money. It was a red, white and black plaid skirt, a white blouse with Juliet sleeves and a red vest. I was so proud of that outfit. I wore it once every week that fall and winter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those skirts and dress are very nice . I also had clothes I should have kept and now regret it

    ReplyDelete