Tuesday 11 April 2023

Gladys Taber and some Flowers

 

On  April 12, 1899 Gladys Taber was born.  During her lifetime she wrote 59 books including the Stillmeadow books. This is what the internet has to say about one of  her books......

When Gladys Taber and her friend Jill bought the shabby seventeenth-century Connecticut farmhouse, they saw it as a weekend escape from the city for their husbands and children.

But eventually they lived there year round, in the old country house they worked hard to restore. This is a book about them and their beloved Stillmeadow: the flow of the seasons, the garden produce, the neighbors who came to visit, and the children who loved Stillmeadow. It all comes to life in this round-the-calendar record of the changing seasons of the land and of the heart.

I'm fortunate to own 6  of her books and reread them almost annually. 

We had a lovely Easter with family get-togethers.  Our weather hasn't been great but I'm sure it will change one of these days. Seems we only get a day of sunshine here and there. Now that Easter has come and gone I think we're all thinking of getting out into the garden. Maybe some pictures of flowers would be nice.







The first 3 were off the internet, the last ones were my garden last year. I can hardly wait!!

Thanks for visiting,

GRANNY M








 





 
 

15 comments:

  1. Thank you for the beautiful flower pictures....especially the last ones, from your garden. Can't wait to see your garden this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are such kindred spirits!! I absolutely ADORE anything and everything about Gladys Tabor. I have many of her books and read them regularly. She has been my inspiration since I was in my 20's. Did you read her Butternut Wisdom column in Women's Day magazine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful flower photos. Your garden flowers are even more beautiful than the internet ones my friend. I'm glad you had a good Easter. We did too. It was a wonderful morning at church. Very good messages.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sweet peas and your garden too. Here the weather was fine on Saturday and Sunday, but today we will have more rain and wind. We also had a nice Easter break

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glorious spring time blooms!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your garden! And especially the white flowers with the pink centers...gorgeous!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. We look forward to see more flowers now! I bought some pots with Daffodils on my balcony, and it is so nice to see. It is still cold here, but they say it will be warmer next week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The flowers are all so pretty. I've never read any of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Favorite books are great similar to favorite movies...we had a very nice Easter too.
    I can already see the colors in the tulip buds in the garden... it won't be long now.
    I wish you sunshine.
    hug

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky you to have so many Gladys Taber books. I have just one and like you, reread it annually. Spring flowers are everywhere now, and so very welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad your Easter went well. I've not heard of Gladys Taber and so did a library search - nothing! Even our biggest online bookshop only had one book of hers, so I guess I will just have to let you enjoy her books for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What wonderful and amazing tulips in your garden! Soon they will flourish also in this spring, I'm shure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello GM! I have lots of Gladys Taber books, too. I must peruse them again! Yes, the garden! I pray for sunshine for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, that was Pom Pom by the way! (BIG HUG!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I have the book Stillmeadow in my sewing room cupboard. But right now I am reading another of your recommendations, Miss Read Chronicles of Fairacre. It’s slow going for me now because I just want to live outside digging in the dirt. Your flower garden is always beautiful so you have much to look forward to. Mary @ Hilltop Post

    ReplyDelete