Sunday 16 April 2023

Morning Walk


 A few pictures from our morning walk.  It was cloudy and rain seemed possible but in the end we stayed dry and had a lovely walk. Lots of  Mallards and Wood Ducks.




 Quite a few clumps of Skunk Cabbage too. Here's what the internet has to say about it. I found the last little fact very interesting.

APPEARANCE

Skunk cabbage has a bright yellow lantern-shaped flower that grows 25 centimetres tall from the base of its large green leaves. It has a strong “skunk” smell that attracts pollinating insects.

RANGE & HABITAT

It grows in swampy and moist areas in North America from Alaska to California. In B.C., this plant is found in the Coast and Mountains and Georgia Lowlands ecoprovinces.

LIFE CYCLE

Skunk cabbage is a perennial plant and it is one of the earliest flowers to bloom. In March or April a yellow flower and spike can be seen poking out of the wet areas where it is found. Bees pollinate the flowers in late spring, and the green leaves are usually not seen until a week after the flowers appear.

ANIMAL USES

Black bears eat the plant in spring as a laxative.

I hope you're having a peaceful Sunday,  GM

 


 

 

16 comments:

  1. Well, I guess those bears need to get regular after coming out of hibernation. They probably don't smell much better than the skunk cabbage. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I now have a mental picture of bears emerging from hibernation, grumpy and constipated, in search of skunk cabbage to get their innards 'going' again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see the pictures from your walk. I've noticed skunk cabbage starting around here too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty walk! I like the gardening quote that you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of skunk cabbage. Wow! That is very interesting. I hope your week is lovely dear GM. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Skunk Cabbage is so different from ours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We also have rainy days and rather cold. I love ducks! The plant I never have seen. Interesting information. I love the quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny about the bears, I guess they get sluggish during their winter nap.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun to have such a lovely morning walk. We had thunderstorms Friday and Saturday and this morning the trees were all budded out and leaves unfurling. It's amazing what a good rain will do isn't it?
    I laughed at the comments about the bear being constipated! Hilarious! Ha!
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty leaves but you can keep the skunky smell...lol
    hugsDonna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting as I've never heard of skunk cabbage before!
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have heard of skunk cabbage, but don't know if I've ever seen it growing. I'll have to pay closer attention. I can guarantee that if I do see it my first thought will be about those bears. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a pretty specimen of Skunk Cabbage. I never see it in the mountains of California until it is quite a bit larger. I think it must also be a different species than what you have...

    ReplyDelete
  14. The smell of skunk is horrendous so I am really glad that I am not a black bear!!
    Hope you are having a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't know about the bears eating skunk cabbage!

    ReplyDelete