Friday 22 March 2024

Plant Shop

 We went to the Plant Shop today and I had a great time browsing all the plants I don't have room for.
I did find a lovely Hellebore "Pink Frost" to replace one of my hellebores that didn't come through the winter. Pink Frost has flowers that face upwards which is such an improvement over the older varieties that look downward.


 I couldn't resist the Heucheras with their pretty red leaves. Several of mine rotted during the winter in spite of being protected from most of the rain.  I hope these do well.


I couldn't resist this Amaryllis either. The bulb is huge and the leaves look so healthy. It has the beginning of what I hope will be a flower stalk ( I have no idea what colour it will be).


 In case my last year's nasturtiums don't self seed I bought more. I thought these 2 kinds looked interesting. The Scarlet Gleam Doubles grow up to 72" which sounds amazing. I may find they need  to be pruned back IF they do that well.

I want to try growing Blue Lake variety of Pole beans and compare them with the usual Kentucky Wonder.  I'll see which we like more. I know we can't even think of sowing beans yet but finding the seeds you want in a month or so isn't as easy as now when the selection is better. As it was, that packet of Kentucky Wonder was the last one on the rack.


 Besides shopping for plants (chatting all the while with Eldest Daughter who found more plants than I did!!) it was a quiet and lovely day.  Have a lovely weekend.


Thanks for visiting,  GM

14 comments:

  1. Fantastic pansies and amaryllis. It's the best thing to be able to grow your own food. Spring prep, love the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a best friend of flowers and plants. Happy the flower, who finds a place in, or around your home, and not only the plants and flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made some great choices. Planting green beans is about the only thing that I miss about not having a house and yard. I love fresh green beans and freezing a LOT of them for winter.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heucheras may not have much of a flower, but their leaves are stunning, with so many different varieties of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs. F.G. experiments with seeds all the time Lotsa plants seeded in the basement already. I too love the red leaves of the Heucheras.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've grown Bush Blue Lake but not the pole variety. Unfortunately the neighborhood deer find the green beans and eat the plants down to nubs.
    I sow nasturtium seed at least twice during the summer. I let some of the flowers ripen seeds, which sometimes will drop into the big tubs and create new plants for autumn--doesn't always happen. Maybe has to do with the variety [?]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pretty red leaves. I'm not even going to try growing a garden this year. We just don't have enough sun here in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many good garden things are in your thoughts and purchases... I have always found Blue Lakes to be better tasting than Kentucky Wonders, though I know people are probably evenly divided on that question. Maybe it has to do with the climate they are grown in.

    A hellebore with upward facing flowers sounds excellent! I have similar feelings and impulses about heucheras and nasturtiums - they are some of my favorites here, though I have a terrible time finding a place that nasturtiums are happy enough to reseed themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so good to visit a garden centre.
    Happy planting.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blue Lake pole beans were the standard growing in bean fields in the Willamette Valley. I picked many bushel baskets full as a kid working in the crop fields in summer. Now we can only find bush beans., which is what are grown commercially now, harvested with mechanical pickers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh gosh Granny, I love all the things you bought at the plant store. What a wonderful assortment. You'll have fun with all of those beauties! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been visiting the plant nursery nearby too, Granny Marigold. So much fun this time of year! Thus far I've only put a few marigolds in the ground, and I've bought a clearance hydrangea that I must find a place for.

    ReplyDelete
  13. An up-facing hellebore would be a real treat. I didn't know there was such, but it would be very popular. Blue Lake pole beans are the ones I usually grow, but I decided to do something different this year. Can't remember what kind I bought. Garden centres are full of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Pink Frost Lenten Rose is beautiful! The coloring of the leaves looks quite similar to the start of one that a friend of mine gave me when she moved to another state. And I believe it is pink as well...not sure of the exact name. It kept over for the second winter for me, but there's no sign that it is going to bloom.

    That's quite the Amarylis bulb!
    My dad used to always plant Blue Lake beans when he did his truck farm.
    Glad you were able to find the seeds that you wanted. And you are so right...it's best to get them early in order to make sure you have them when you want them.

    ReplyDelete