Friday 9 August 2024

Autumn Flowers

 Friday again and Eldest Daughter and Youngest Son came to do garden work for me. I had already done about 40 minutes of light work but they got right into the digging up of various plants that had outgrown their spaces.  Strange how even with the drought certain plants have just thrived.

As usual September Charm Japanese Anemone is blooming in August. DH doesn't much like the way it hangs over the fence that leads to his workshop. I think it's just beautiful.  It spreads and can be invasive but here in this area it is surrounded by concrete paths ( but still manages to grow through any small crack!!).



 
Zinnias planted in a raised box behind the glider swing are blooming now. These grew from seed I saved but I notice that seed from last year's striped blooms either reverted to a solid colour or just failed to grow. 


The Rudbeckias are still doing great. I've never had them do so well.


 And of course the petunias are still brightening up the garden.


 It's almost noon and the thermometer is slowly creeping up to 30 again.  Time to go close all the windows. After lunch I plan on having a nice nap.  What does your day hold?


Thanks for visiting.



19 comments:

  1. I like Japanese Anemones too, but we don't have such a confined space and they spread so badly that we have eliminated most of them. Yours are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a colourful display of flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flowers are always so pretty! I especially like how the pink ones at the top are hanging out over the lattice work. So pretty!

    I'm thankful that your children are able to be there and do the harder work in the gardens for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You still have so many beautiful flowers blooming in August, and they all seem to be thriving. Even though I water every day, the heat is beginning to take its toll on mine. I know you must enjoy having those kiddos come over to help with the garden. Our oldest son is helping more and more on the farm, so we are getting spoiled to having him here more. He surely is handy at fixing things, but not so much on digging in the dirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful flower images. I so admire people who have such green-thumbs. Linda imagesisee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. All these flowers are my favorite! Ii's really an adventure to see, what colors the zinnias will find every year. Like dove-babies: You never know, what color is in the eggs, and slowly they show their feathers and make me surprise :)))))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful blooms. I like the way the blooms hang over the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful you got some good help with your gardens. They look like they are doing so well.
    A nap sounds great to me.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those flowers drooping over and through the fence! I love seeing your flowers. I did not do much today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your plants all look so lush in bloom despite your heat! Mine are suffering from what I call the summer-shabbies and are in desperate need of rain. You asked what my day held - we had picked apples nearby and I cooked up 2 batches (18 cups) of apple pie filler though I only kept 9 cups for myself. More apples to peel tomorrow but those will be made into pies for the freezer. I also cut up the greens for "Summer Borscht" which our kids used to call Swamp Soup...that also went into the freezer. The garden keeps me busy at this time of year.
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many pretty flowers. I also love Japanese Anemone, but I do wish it wasn't quite so invasive. Love your quote today, so true. Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. How pretty your anemones are. Around here we call zinnias "paper flowers" because of how their petals feel to the touch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The flowers are lovely, pretty colors. I agree about the wheat berries, magic. Makes good bread real bread, healthy. Thank you for stopping over as always, nice to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd love to grow Anemones...but it's just too hot here... :o(
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the flowers by the fence! All your flowers are beautiful, they look good even if it is hot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish my Japanese anemones would spread, but they barely hold on :-( and barely produce a few blooms. They must need a different culture from what I've been "providing" by my benign neglect. Yours ARE gorgeous.

    Gretchen Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's the next Monday here, and I'm planning to sew today. Must also vacuum the floors.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Japanese anemones are lovely. I would love to have some! It is very hot here too yesterday was so hot! I am resting this afternoon too.

    ReplyDelete