Tuesday 22 October 2024

Sore Foot, a Ghost, and a Mushroom

 


 

I've been faithfully icing my swollen foot but today I read on-line that icing is not recommended  any more especially after 2 or 3 days. Apparently it can delay the healing process.  

With the "Spooky " season approaching I read this yesterday in Elizabeth's German Garden ( which I'm rereading again)

"....the cook saw a ghost and immediately left. What she saw was doors that are locked opening with a great clatter all by themselves on the hinge side, and then somebody invisible cursed at her.
I don't know why it should be given to cooks to see such interesting things and withheld from me but I have had  two others since she left, and they both have seen the ghost."

Have you read this old book first published in 1898?  I like how she calls her husband Man of Wrath, which apparently he was.

 

   Found this strange mushroom . The stem broke when I lifted it but it was about 2" high. 


That's it for today.  I hope your day is going well. I'm glad you dropped by,  GM


10 comments:

  1. I didn't get on with her German garden book, but loved the one about the villa in April. That's the one I reread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that really a mushroom? Cool

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your foot feels better soon. I had heard the same about icing for long periods of time. The book sounds interesting and that mushroom is...well, different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to read that book! Sounds good...and we get those puff mushrooms here when it rains too much.
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you had a doctor look at your foot? I'm wondering if perhaps more damage was done that you thought? I have heard that now physical therapists are advising switching back and forth from ice to heat.
    That's a strange little mushroom. I've never seen one like that before.
    I laughed at your ghost story. Doors opening on the hinge side? Pure craziness! Ha! Actually, our first house was well over 100 years old and definitely had a ghost. It wasn't mean, just mischievious. I never felt scared, but it irritated us sometimes with it's antics. We both think it was a child. Definitely made life interesting.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your foot feels better soon. Ice usually helps with swelling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear that your foot is not getting any better. As for mushrooms and toadstools ( honestly I cannot tell the difference) they are coming up all over my yard too. I guess it a seasonal thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brave Granny Marigold! I can imagine, that ice is not really soft for your fine feet. I hope you will recover soon. Do what you feel! 🚶🚶‍♀️🚶

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never read that book.
    We have that type of mushroom around here. After a while it flattens out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have not heard of that book, but it sounds interesting.
    Sorry about your foot. How odd that ice is not recommended after a couple days. I am still icing my knee 3 weeks after surgery, as recommended. I guess it depends on the type injury?

    ReplyDelete