Wednesday 24 June 2020

Amaryllis and a Mystery Plant







 One of my Amaryllis that bloomed back in January or February decided to bloom again. It's a surprise but we're enjoying the 4 lovely big flowers.


Below is a picture of a mystery plant that popped up in the front garden. It's about 5' tall and has flowers which strongly resemble those of the Peach-leaved Bellflower (Campanula Persicifolia)
but the leaves are very different and the height is beyond what it would be.


Here's a close-up of the leaves.


On the left there's a leaf and a flower from the unknown one; the one on the right is a leaf and bloom of the Peach-leaved Campanula.


If anyone has an idea what my plant is I'd like to hear about it.  It's not a particularly nice-looking plant, too rangy, but still it's nice to know what exactly it is.


Thanks for visiting,  G.M.

10 comments:

  1. https://dorsetperennials.co.uk/comparisons/genus/campanula-bellflowers-detail/
    This site has so many examples of the Campanula, and your plant does look like one of that variety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pointed my Seek app at the screen and it immediately told me, "Nettle-leaved Bellflower" ! It's very dramatic, isn't it, so tall and slender like that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful summer-flowers! I'm sorry, I cannot identify the strange flower. I like bell-flowers very much, I have blue and white bell-flowers in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry can't help. Tired to take a picture of your picture with the Plant Snap app on my phone but it kept coming up with answers that looked nothing like your plant!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does look like a kind of companula, but not one I am familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know much about flowers but I do think it's absolutely beautiful.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty colour but not sure what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How thrilling to get another flower on your amaryllis. It must be loving the attention you have been giving it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whatever it is, it's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perhaps a bird dropped it there, looks like a bellflower of some sort! Your gardens are lovely!! :)

    ReplyDelete