Tuesday 16 June 2020

Geese, Wrens, and a Boy

Although there are signs asking people not to feed the ducks and geese in the park they do anyway. I guess the young geese have caught on and I was mobbed this morning by them looking for a hand out. They soon lost interest when they realized I didn't have anything for them.



This picture was taken a couple of weeks ago. It may not look like much but it's 5 baby Bewicks wrens.  First 3 fledged then a day or so later the other 2 were also gone. We've had Bewicks wren in our garden for a number of years but this is the first time I was aware of a nest. I love their sweet song.


 Here's a picture of a Bewicks Wren (off the internet)



Last but not least M was doing an experiment out on the back grass this morning. It was called elephant toothpaste and was not exactly spectacular but he was happy with it and that's the main thing.   Behind him are middle son's hot pepper plants which he faithfully covers for night and uncovers during any sunny days ( not that we've had many lately).  For those who might not know middle son's family and my DH and myself share a home and M and his big sister are our grandchildren.


Thanks for coming by,


GRANNY MARIGOLD

12 comments:

  1. The goslings are in the awkward stage. but still cute little beggars. We have Bewicks wrens nesting here each year too. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a pond with ducks, geese and swans at our local hospital and there are signs everywhere warning people not to feed them but they do anyway. Such a shame as it really isn't good for the birds. We have wrens here but none like yours, those are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine, that pepper need a lot of sun and warmness, so its good to give him shelter and cover in the night and before the rain. How many grandchildren do you have? They all are quite big, so I think you began early to be a mother /Grandmother!

    O the geese! VERY sweet! It is a big temptation not to feed these feather-cushions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dori, I have 5 grandchildren, 2 granddaughters 31, a grandson 21, another granddaughter 17 and the youngest grandson M who will be 11 next month. Yes, he has lovely long hair and is sometimes mistaken for a girl. But he doesn't mind.

      Delete
  4. Lucky you to to have the Bewick's wren! Love all these goslings!

    No, I did not know you shared a home with your son. That is wonderful that you can do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had never heard of a Bewick's wren before. After looking at the picture, I think they look very similar to our Carolina wrens.
    I think it is pretty special that your son and family live with you. How wonderful to be such a big part of your grandchildren's lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had Bewick's wrens in my garden, too, and yes, their song was captivating. The day I consulted the bird guide and eventually matched the flirty bird to the song was a happy day. That is lovely that you have a nest nearby this spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of Elephant's Toothpaste and had to look it up - sounds like fun!
    I think it is great that you have some of your family to share a home with. I moved in with my son and grand-daughter when I had no home, and now I love it. There is always something happening and I think I would be very lonely if I was living by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun to see all of the geese. It doesn't take them long to learn to expect handouts. We have lots of them here at the lake too.
    Miss Piper, (my granddaughter), asked me today when we video chatted together if Papa and I would please move into their basement. She wants all of her grandparents close by. I've promised her that we're planning to move closer to her once Papa retires but I doubt it will be into her basement! Grandparents add so much to their lives. My own grandma was the one who taught me to crochet and I still miss her.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a joy to see the goslings, they are so cute and fluffy. I can understand why people would want to feed them but sadly not doing them any favours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh the geese are so cute! GM, remember the show Dallas? That big old house they had and the whole family shared? My three daughters along with their families would love it if we had a place like that and we all lived together. I just thought about that when I read that you and your son/family share a home. My bunch would love it! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to see all the geese.
    Didn't know your son and his family with you. How nice that you all get along to be able to do that.
    The wren sure is cute.

    ReplyDelete