Monday 22 June 2020

Visiting the Heron Reserve


We drove out to the Heron reserve to walk and to see the many smaller birds that are attracted to the various feeders that are situated close to the main building. Which was closed, of course, due to the virus.  We didn't see any herons since the path that leads to the nesting area is closed during the time the young are being raised.  We have in the past been near a heron nesting area and it is incredibly noisy and smelly so I didn't mind at all that the path was closed.

I seem to like trees because I took many pictures of them. I won't post them all.




 

Could this be a beaver's lodge? WE did see evidence of chewed trees.


This Downy Woodpecker was very close to where we were sitting on a bench and having a little picnic.
To our delight a young one came begging for food and we saw the adult feed it.


Some of the other birds we saw were Red-winged Blackbirds, a Grosbeak, Common Yellowthroat, Gold Finches, House Finches, Swainsons Thrush and in the water we saw a female Wood Duck with her 4 half-grown ducklings.

Here the physical distancing was measured in an Eagles wingspan.


A very different Monday for me but the weather has been so unpredictable that when we woke up to clear skies we decided to take off for a few hours.


I'm glad you came by and I hope you'll leave a comment.  I enjoy reading what you have to say and try to answer any questions ( so if you've asked any please check back).

GM

16 comments:

  1. Even though we have Great Blue Herons here, I have never seen a young one, but surely would like to. I also like the trees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a wonderful outing. I wouldn't know the various birds names even if I saw them. We do have eagles, hawks, ravens, herons, geese and ducks here at the lake. I have a hummingbird feeder and lots of birds visiting it.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You took us along with you on a wonderful walk. So much to see and admire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is nature pure! I like the animals, also the hidden ones :) the trees. Even the dry trees have a special character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    Do you know how many eggs/babies Herons have? You live in such a beautiful area and have so many places close to home to visit.

    Kay
    Park City, UT

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great place to visit! Any day we see an eagle is a great day. I love that second shot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great place to go walking.
    Yes, I do believe that is a beaver home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a good getaway!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've enjoyed our visits to the Heron Reserve on our trips to visit family in Chilliwack and Abbotsford. Such a wonderful place with so many birds to see. The sign with the eagle wingspan is a great visual for distancing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome outing! I would have loved to have paid a visit there. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Didn't realize until now that you live in Chilliwack! We've visited that heron reserve because our daughter lives in Abbotsford.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so good to get out and about, isn't it? You're good at field trips.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like trees too. I think its beautiful to stand beneath a large tree and look up. Love the birds too. Oh, Your last post...all those good foods. I would love to be able to cook, especially bake, like you do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blue herons are so majestic. I love to see them fly over with their necks folded up and their long legs trailing behind, lol. That looks like a beaver lodge to me, too. I feel bad that I've had to remove my bird feeders. A neighbor a short distance down the road had a bear and three cubs in her yard. I feel like I'm letting "my" birds down. But I'll put them back up when winter hits again. :)

    ReplyDelete