Saturday 17 June 2023

Cottontails and Flowers

 

 We had a blustery day today. Youngest son came to help and we put in a few pavers to make a bit of a path through the front flowers.  Now that the earth is dug up I will plant Thyme between the pavers and hopefully it will spread.

On our walk we stopped to look at this young bunny. Another person also stopped to watch it and told us that our rabbits are actually called Cottontails which was news to me. I thought Cottontail was just a cute name for them. I looked it up and found out some interesting facts.


 

Nuttall’s cottontail are the smallest rabbit-eared animals in the province. Their coats are grayish brown above, and white below. They have black-tipped ears.

Range & Habitat

They are found from British Columbia to southern California, and east through Saskatchewan, Montana, and New Mexico. Cottontails live in rocky wooded or brushy areas.

Cottontails eat mostly grass and other green plants. They are nocturnal—most active at dawn and dusk. When they are threatened they thump their hind feet on the ground as an alarm signal.

Breeding occurs throughout the summer months. Females build elaborate nests of leaves and twigs and then line them with their own fur. Cottontails can have up to nine offspring and they are independent from the mother after only one month. 

 

I'll end my post with pictures of some of the recently opened flowers in the front garden.

Astilbes

 

Daylilies (I think these are Stella d'Oro) and  Yellow Loosestrife  (which used to be variegated but has reverted. Yes, I know it's invasive but I keep an eye on it).



Campanula

Not sure about this one


That's it. Thanks for coming by and staying till the end. I love to know who came by so please leave a comment even a very short one will do.   Granny M
 




11 comments:

  1. Who knew about cottontails? Not me, thanks for the info. Your garden colors are amazing, don’t you love summer? Have a happy day.
    xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The white flowered plant....Is it Bacopa?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi G.M. - Speaking of Rabbits - I recently viewed at the Local Pet Shop - 'Norwiegen Dwarf Rabbits'- so adorable I would definitly like to have one or two- they are very small-though.... My Partner (Chris) won't allow me- alas. Best Wishes. KEV. (Sydney-Australia).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought like you that cottontail was a cute name for rabbits. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have Cottontails around here in the suburbs.
    Your white flower is a hardy geranium.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute little bunny! Your flowers are beautiful, I also had yellow Daylilies and Loosestrife in my garden when we lived in our old house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Campanula! We also have it in our garden: White and violet. I took several of them on Saturday for decoration in our church for Sunday.
    Sweet rabbit! So cute! A special one...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The campanula is my favorite here, but everything is beautiful -- cottontails included. I would like to plant more campanula, but it probably needs more water than I can give it....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all your flowers....have never seen yellow loosestrife.....only the purple. What a sweet little cottontail, just like Peter?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your flowers look amazing. It seems I cannot grow Astilbe though I have tried numerous times. Cottontails are so cute but can do so much damage to a lovely yard!
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Light Pink is a Hardy Geranium! Such pretty flowers!

    ReplyDelete