Wednesday 28 June 2023

Sweet Peas and Dill

 

I was puttering away in my flowers when I happened to see that one of my perennial Sweet Peas is a light pink. I think I previously mentioned that I used to have a white one but after that one failed to stick around I had just dark pink. Now I have a light pink and I've marked the plant and will keep the seeds in the hope that they will give me more of the same, I hope you can tell on the picture that some are lighter than others. 


 In response to a question from an anonymous follower I'll explain how I freeze my dill. It's so easy. You wash the dill and cut it into whatever length you want your little 'bundles' to be. you can tie the bunches...that's what I do. About including the stems....that's up to you. I kept some but mostly I kept the lovely "heads" and ferny leaves.   I will use them when I make pickled beans later in a month or so.  If I want just a few Tbsp of fine dill for a recipe I can just use a scissors and cut off part of a frozen bunch.  I hope this explanation helps. I freeze my Summer Savory in the same way. 
This is what the internet has to say on that subject:

Freezing dill is an easy kitchen activity: First, wash the dill in cold water and shake or pat dry. Then lay the sprigs out on a cookie sheet and pop them into the freezer to flash freeze them. When the dill sprigs are all frozen, transfer them to a freezer bag and return it to the freezer.

Connie wondered what the pink/red flowers behind the lavender were. They are roses. Two little bushes that didn't thrive in the back garden were moved to the front, set together in one hole, and went on to do so well!!  There's so much about gardening that is frustrating but also so much that's  rewarding.
Thank you for all the lovely comments on my lavender. Our sandy soil provides the drainage that lavender needs which is the reason it grows well around here.

In spite of the heat I am baking bread and buns today. I better go check if the breadmaker has finished mixing up the dough for me.

Thanks for visiting,  GM

14 comments:

  1. Very pretty sweet peas. I loved my lavender in Spokane and it grew so well. Makes sense since it was high desert. Very sandy soil. I do miss that.
    Mmmm. Homemade bread. I would love to taste that!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sweet peas are lovely, and yes, I can easily see that you have at least two shades of Pretty Pink there <3

    I should have done as you describe, with the summer savory I grew this spring for the first time, and put it in the freezer. I didn't use one leaf of it, and now it is flowering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Sweet Peas are beautiful....I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet peas are one of my favourite flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the pink shades in your bouquet of sweet peas. They are such pretty flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so nice, that you enjoy not only the fruits of the Sweet Peas , but also the flowers in different shining colors. Yes, I can recognize the different colors on the beautiful bouquet!
    You really are a knowing cook and you know many fine things for smelling life in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good tip about freezing the dill!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tip about freezing dill for making pickles later in the season...I never knew that worked! I usually only freeze the baby dill when its so fine that I can chop stems and all and then package it in small bags for use in soups. I do freeze my summer savory in small bundles of "wrapped" stems the way you mention. I freeze my basil leaves whole as well.
    My breadmaker is mixing dough for me too right now. An early start to the morning!
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi GM! Lovely sweet peas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such lovely sweet peas, pretty colours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty sweet peas! I can just smell that bread baking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did you challenges when bringing up 5 kids, how did you manage it, could you please write a blog about it

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet peas are my favourite flowers!
    Love from Titti

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dill and fennel are host plants for black swallowtail butterflies so I plant it for them. Hilltop Post

    ReplyDelete