Sunday 11 June 2023

Quiet Sunday and an Invasive Honeysuckle

 

 

Sunday evenings have a different kind of feeling, don't you think?  After a quiet day one looks at the week ahead and what it will bring. We have doctor appointments on Wednesday. For some reason our doctor insists on seeing us every 6 months or so ( maybe just to make sure we're still around?)  Once we get that done we might as well keep going and go browse at the thrift store that's further away and we don't go to very often.  There may be treasures to be found. You never know.

This past week we had some visitors in our back yard. One evening at dusk I saw something moving across the grass, noticed the white stripe down its back and in a moment I realized it was a skunk and where was Miss Kitty? I was so scared she'd go investigate this new arrival. I knocked on the window, the skunk ran off and Kitty hadn't even moved off her favourite chair. Another evening we had 2 raccoons come right up to the house, probably to check if there was any cat food left in Kitty's dish. Again, a loud knock on the window sent them packing. 

We had a bit of rain on Friday; not enough to make a difference but enough to weigh down the shrubs. The Deutzia was leaning down and we noticed that a Honeysuckle has invaded the middle of the shrub. Once both have finished blooming we'll have to pull the honeysuckle out and cut it back. Maybe move it somewhere where it can wander freely.


I hope you have a lovely week. Thank you for coming by,   GM

10 comments:

  1. Honeysuckle grows wild here and is most invasive. It has a lovely scent, but can ramble along a fence and take over an area. Skunks! We saw a small, nearly all black one trundling along the roadside on our way to church. Several years ago one of our son's dogs chased a skunk while staying with us--it was quite dreadful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May your upcoming week be blessed with peace and happy surprises. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Sunday evenings do have a different feel to them. I used to refer to it as the "Walt Disney Blues" because as kids we were allowed to watch the Walt Disney show on Sunday nights and once the show was over, it was time to get ready for bed. And going to bed meant that the weekend was over and that tomorrow was school which I did not enjoy. Working fulltime for so many years, I still had the "Walt Disney blues". Now being retired, it doesn't apply anymore but that feeling of what the week will bring is still there. I am glad that the skunk left without leaving any noxious odor behind and that Miss Kitty was not in harm's way.
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your honeysuckle. I think I can smell it! LOL! We need rain so very bad. Seems everyone in our surrounding area gets rain but us. Happy week to you dear GM. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Sunday evenings do have a different feel to them.
    We have had squirrels in the garden recently, thankfully no skunks!

    Have a good week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honeysuckle is invasive but I love the smell!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. O rain!! I hear about fire in the forests in Canada..

    Wonderful light-rose flowers! Here I see the same, but not so rich as yours.

    O what crazy wild animals come into your garden! Kitty is great and calm.

    I can imagine, that you don't like to visit the doctor. You and your dear husband will be in perfect health!!!!!! I pray for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely shrub...Honeysuckle is nice too in its own space:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree about Sunday evenings feeling different. Now that Dennis is back to work on Monday's it's not as fun anymore. I hope you find some gret things at the thrift store. There is usually "something" you can't live without.
    Glad the skunk and racoons left with no issues.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your bushes and honeysuckle might be going wild, but you must admit they look beautiful. I am so glad that your kitty didn't try chasing the skunk. I've never had to get that smell off any of my animals and hope I'll never need too.

    ReplyDelete