Monday 18 September 2023

Cold Hands and Toad-in-the-Hole

 First of all I want to thank all of you for your prayers and good wishes for my return to health after a week of the dreaded covid.  Both Dear Husband and I are back to our old selves ( pun intended).
We had a refreshing shower overnight and this morning the temperature was 14C...  57F when we left on our walk.
I always seem to have icy cold fingers and after years of heating little bags of rice in the microwave ( to put in my pockets) I finally bought a set of two rechargeable hand warmers from Amazon. I used them this morning and they work wonderfully!!  I'm sure I'll use them a lot since in winter my fingers feel ice cold even at my computer.

 


 Do you visit the blog The Low Carb Diabetic?  I'm not diabetic but I find great recipes on that blog. Today I see that Jan has posted a recipe for Root Vegetable Toad-in-a-Hole. I intend to make it and I even have a Butternut Squash in the house but....here's my problem. The squash I bought is tasteless. I looked for an answer on-line and from what I can find out is that my squash isn't ripe? I had no idea that they need time to 'ripen'. Now that I've used half of it will the other half get riper standing on the counter?

 

image from Jan's blog


 Whatever your day holds I hope it's a good one.  GM




13 comments:

  1. We have hand warmers to take to soccer games. Now that we are finished with high school games now, and i can no longer go the Sounders matches, Mine won't get used much.
    We like Danish (acorn) squash, and I noticed once that a not very ripe one had little flavor. So, yep, I guess everything is better ripened. Even us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe Covid can alter your sense of taste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I do follow Jan's blog and saw that delicious looking dish.
    Glad your feeling better and out walking again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Warm rice in the pocket walking with you is a nice friend in cold areas! Sorry, that the pumpkin had an empty taste. Is Elizabethd right??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear friend, I don't think that a half used butternut squash is going to ripen. But, it will rot! Either way, I guess next time you must wait until it is ripe before cutting it. But, how do you tell when it's ripe?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to say what Elizabeth did. After we had covid last December, we both could taste some things and others were tasteless. I'm really glad that you are both feeling better. It's been two weeks for this cold of mine and I'm still coughing a LOT and a bit of a drippy nose too. I'm pretty tired of it since it ruined my entire trip for the wedding.
    Take care and rest a lot so you continue healing.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always leave my butternut squash, whole, in a bowl, and let it continue to ripen for about another week or two. They just taste better.
    Glad you're feeling better!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear that you were sick. We were out of town so I'm just catching up with everything now. So glad you're feeling better. I've never had a butternut squash that didn't taste great! Hope the other half of yours tastes much better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have found that the butternut squashes I buy at the store are often lacking in flavor, especially compared to the ones that come from my garden. I suppose the commercial growers just pick all of the squashes at once, ripe or not. And as others have said they will not ripen off the vine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here covid is coming back and we will have a new vaccination on October.
    I had it three times and the last time was pretty hard, so I wear a mask when it is crowded and at the supermarket.
    Nice you feel better. The hand warmer is very useful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We each have one of those hand warmers, I love mine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pleased you are feeling better.

    Many thanks for the mention to the low carb diabetic and the root vegetable toad in the hole.
    Sorry that your squash was tasteless, I'm wondering if Covid may have affected your taste buds?
    I know folks who do leave their butternut squash whole and let it continue to ripen for a short while ... once cut I do not think they will continue to ripen.

    You could perhaps try the recipe again and substitute a different root vegetable e.g. swede/rutabaga.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too have cold hands walking so I will try your recommendation of hand warmers! Thanks for sharing that product♥Be well and safe!

    ReplyDelete