Friday 20 October 2023

Angel Trumpet

 Two doors down from our house is a beautiful Angel Trumpet Flower growing in the front yard. I've been meaning to walk over and take a picture.  Here it is in all its glory.

 

Here's some information about this plant...

Angel’s trumpets are evergreen plants with many branching trunks and are typically less than 8 metres (26 feet) in height. The simple leaves can be toothed or entire and are alternately arranged along the stems. The large pendulous flowers have a fused trumpet-shaped corolla and can be white, cream, yellow, orange, red, pink, or greenish in colour. The flowers of some species can reach up to 50 cm (20 inches) in length. Most species are fragrant at night and attract moths for pollination, though the red angel’s trumpet lacks scent and is pollinated by hummingbirds.

 All parts of angel’s trumpets are considered poisonous and contain the alkaloids 

Besides wandering around outside on this lovely Autumn day I 'supervised' my garden helpers for an hour or so this morning.  Came inside long enough to make 9 jars of jam ( It will be shared with various family members ), then I took a nap.  How did you spend your day?  I hope it was a good one.

Note to Catherine ( whose blog is one of the ones I can't comment on).  I hope Bandit is okay and that the vet gives you good news.

Thanks for visiting, GM


 

 



13 comments:

  1. As you have seen on my posts, we have a n Angels Trumpet, which we refer to as Brugmansia. It used to flower heavily in summer, but lately the old plant stopped flowering. New cuttings, which are easy to propagate are blooming later and later so that now this newest plant is blooming heavily finally now in mid October. I thinks we lack enough full sun.
    My day? Breakfast with friends, then weekly grocery shopping, then lunch, then into the city for my latest Dr appointment. Finally back home, I finished reading the paper, did my second set of PT and am snatching a few minutes to read blogs before I have to start supper. Typical day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! That is a spectacular plant! I have never seen one before. Co-incidentally, I spent much of today at Lauritzen Gardens here in Omaha with my MIL, her brother and his two daughters from Minneapolis who came down to visit for the weekend. It was a beautiful day in the low 80's and a perfect day to visit the garden. I'll put some photos on my next post.
    Thanks for sharing the Trumpet plant with us. Now I know something new. I learned LOTS of new plants but I probably won't remember any of it with my memory. It seems to get worse every day but Dennis says that's because I'm trying to remember too much. :-)
    Blessings and love,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are amazing plants. I have always heard that they are very poisonous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful plant! I've not heard of Angel Trumpet before, but it is full of color! Thank you for sharing the pictures and the information about it.

    Your day sounds like fun. I took a nap too. :) I've been a bit under the weather this week, so I have been mostly resting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful flowers. Don't think I've ever seen them before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful flower this is.
    Thanks for the additional information too.

    Wishing you a good weekend.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never saw such plant! Wonderful name: Angel's trumpet! It's good to make jam for all the family, so they have fine self-made fruits-taste all over the winter. I spent a great part my time - as always - with my sheep. Many greetings from Dori from the Bavarian Forest

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for asking news from Bandit. For the moment we keep an eye on the problem and if it is growing there will be a surgery and then it will be analysed.
    The plant here we call it a Datura. I had some in the past. But it does not like frost do they put it in a greenhouse during winter?

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Mom gave me a cutting of a red trumpet vine years age. I planted it...it grew and grew and was SO invasive, we had to chop it out! Never again...lolol
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely plant, I can not remember ever seeing it before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for telling so much about this plant. I think I have seen them before and didn't ever know what they were.

    ReplyDelete