Wednesday 25 October 2023

Wind and an Old Tree

 


 5C and very windy this morning. The park was littered with small and not-so-small branches that the wind tore off the trees. Fortunately I took a picture of my arbour with its lovely leaves on it earlier this week  because there's not a single leaf left. 

I know I've mentioned the very tall, dead tree on the lot behind ours. Every time the wind blew from the south east I was afraid the tree would come down on our house.  Yesterday it came down safely!!!  The excavator that's working in the back, on that 3 story medical offices building that will eventually be built, grabbed that tree and held it while a second man with a chain saw cut it down.  One minute it was there and the next it was gone. These pictures were taken a few seconds before it fell.

Incidentally, the tree had ivy growing on it which may or may not have killed it. You can see how far up it reached.



That was our excitement of the morning.  I'm so thankful that I no longer have to fear the tree crushing our house.

Thanks for visiting,  GM



20 comments:

  1. Thank God they took it down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be so relieved that the tree is finally gone. I bet the ivy did kill it.
    A lot of leaves have come down with all the wind and rain we've had too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good: the problem with the dangerous tree is solved! I can imagine, that you feel much better now. IT's no fun to see such a big tree crashing down! Many greetings from Dori from the Bavarian Forest

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad for you that that tree is down. One less thing to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Old dead trees scare me. There are a few along the trails I walk so I am careful around them when the wind is blowing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some years ago I had a big tree cut down which was too near the house. With the climate changes we are having more and more storms and o was scared it fell on our house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to have the tree gone...one less worry.
    Like the new header!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that tree needed to come down, it didnt look safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That must of been such a relief!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad that you won't have to worry about that tree anymore! That was a lot of ivy covering its trunk!
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad to hear that the tree is down now...and in a safe way so that it didn't go on your home. That has to be quite a relief for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I often marvel at how a particular tree--or building or fence becomes part of our landscape--something we take for granted. during the winter [2019] of our house building project we stayed in a camper trailer at the lower end of the property. A towering dead tree shed branches with each winter storm. It was another winter before most of it crashed down and J. took a chainsaw to the remainder.
    Here is a link to the Keats poem you quoted on my blog post. https://poets.org/poem/autumn
    Some beautifully descriptive phrases there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It must have been a good feeling to watch that tree come down safely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty nifty way to take down a dead tree. Those things are widow makers for loggers and tree cutters.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As everyone else has said, I'm very glad the tree is gone and no longer a danger to you. Our trees had such pretty leaves on them until yesterday when a very strong south wind blew and every leaf is now gone.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know that fear. Three years ago we chopped down four perfectly fine pine trees because I had planted them tooclose to the house and they had become a fall danger. Glad to not worry about that anymore, but sad because I had planted them and now they are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I understand your fear... last fall we had two large pine trees taken down because they were old and if they ever fell in a windstorm they would have taken out our fences and backyard shed and one would have landed very close if not on our house. It was such a relief to have them gone. The neighbors have a tree that could land on our property and take out fences and the garden shed but they are not inclined to take it down. Grrrrrr....

    ReplyDelete