Wednesday 4 October 2023

Pony Soldier

70 plus years ago my Uncle Ben took me to see this movie. It was the first time this little farm girl had been in a movie theatre and I'm sure I was very impressed.  My Mother and I were visiting my  aunt and uncle in the city and if I remember correctly we walked to the theatre. I suppose my Uncle must have taken pity on me and took me out for a few hours.  No doubt he looked for a movie suitable for my age yet not too childish for himself.  I have no idea why the poster showed a young woman with a sexy dress when the only young woman in the movie looked nothing at all like that.
This is what the internet has to say...

Pony Soldier is a 1952 American Northern Western film set in Canada, but filmed in Sedona, Arizona. It is based on a 1951 Saturday Evening Post story ...
 
Last week Youngest Son found it on-line and we watched it together. He wondered if I'd remember  any part of the movie but I can't say that I did.

Thanks for coming by and letting me share this memory with you.  GM

14 comments:

  1. How fun to be able to find that old movie and relive a memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess sex sold even then! How fun it must of been to see it again
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember what the first movie I saw was. I do remember that one of our school secretaries took me to see Gone with the Wind when it came out. She and I had read the book around the same time and talked about it. She wanted to see the movie when it came out and didn't want to go alone. She picked me to go with her. I remember feeling so grown up and special that she asked me... and that my mom let me go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they used sexy women to promote a lot of films back then...can't say that the practice ever stopped. Shame. I don't remember this movie but I do remember Tyrone Power.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fun memory. The first movie I ever went to was for my parents 25th anniversary. All four of us kids took them out to dinner and to a movie. I had never eaten in a restaurant before either. The move was Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I still remember the theater too. I was nine years old and my sister was 12. My older brothers were 20 and 23 and I'm sure they paid for everything. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Friends from church took me to my first movies at theaters. The first was “101 Dalmatians,” and then “The Ten Commandments.” I was invited to go see “Gone With the Wind” as an adolescent but my parents thought it too adult for me and I had to wait quite a few years to get another chance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great memory and that you got to watch it again with your son. Another memory!
    I can't remember the first movie I ever went too but the first movie I ever saw with Ken was the Poseiden Adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cool that you were able to watch it again after all these years :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful to have an Uncle to take you to the movies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun memory. My first movie was The Sound of Music.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tricks of advertising, sex sells. Sad, cause it shouldn't be that way. What a nice memory though for you. I think my first movie might have been Annie Get Your Gun; but I'm not sure about that. I do know Annie Oakley was one of my hero's growing up, so maybe that's why??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such great memories! (C)

    ReplyDelete