Friday 17 May 2024

Interesting Facts

 

 

It was very blustery yesterday and this morning the park was littered with branches , some quite large, on the ground.  It's still a bit windy  but not as bad. Many of the branches  blown down were from these fine trees....Horse Chestnuts. These are very common around town and at this time of the year are extra attractive with their large flower heads.   Here are some facts from the internet  to bore you this morning...

 Both horse chestnut and edible chestnuts produce a brown nut, but edible chestnuts always have a tassel or point on the nut. The toxic horse chestnut is rounded and smooth with no point or tassel.

What is the difference between pink and white horse chestnut?
The key difference is the colour of the flowers. Instead of being white they range from pink to red as there are several cultivars.

Enough about Horse Chestnuts.  Here are some other interesting ( to me, at least) facts, this time about white cats.  Did you know that ....
 
 Researchers found that only 17 to 22 percent of white cats with non-blue eyes are born deaf. The percentage rises to 40 percent if the cat has one blue eye, while upwards of 65 to 85 percent of all-white cats with both eyes blue are deaf. Some of these cats are deaf in only one ear.
 
 So, not all white cats are deaf and not all blue-eyed white cats are deaf, but a great many of them are so-affected.
 
Obviously I need to get some work done here and the first step will be to get away from my computer.
Thanks for visiting today. 

Oh yes, here's another fact. My cookies didn't work out quite like I wanted. Once I had them mixed there was no way that they would hold together so I could form balls of dough so I pressed the whole thing into an 8X8 pan and baked it that way. It's really tasty!!!
 
 

12 comments:

  1. When I was growing up we had a deaf white cat, so I have always avoided having one myself (although you don't see many pure white cats around anymore). I love the way you adapted your cookie recipe - it is the sort of "rescue" that I do myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know horse chestnuts are toxic. Glad I didn't try eating one. I do know you can get conked on the head by them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All are interesting facts. We had a white cat once...raised on a bottle. He was our first Bubbie but he was not deaf...LOL But all this, including about the horse chestnut is fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All these facts are very interesting...even how you saved the cookie dough. I have been wanting to make cookies lately but dread getting started. I've never been a good cookie maker. I love your header with all the teacups and all the pink!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so clever to make a pain of bars out of those cookies instead of cookies! I bet they did taste good. We had twin white cats when I was growing up. Don't know if they were deaf though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was little we had a horse chestnut tree in the garden.
    I have never tried eating the falling sea chestnuts.
    I didn't know a large percentage of white cats without blue eyes were deaf,
    interesting info!
    Have a beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cookies bars taste just as good! Love that you didn't just throw it out. The cat facts are really interesting. We had a pure white ferrel cat that adopted us in Spokane. She sure didn't seem deaf, but it could have been in just one ear!?
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea to turn those cookies into bars!!
    We had a couple of English Chestnuts trees in the yard when I was a kid, They were good to eat but came in prickly pods and I stepped on many of them with bare feet. Not fun, but loved the chestnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your information about red and white chestnuts. In our region I see now both of them flourishing beautiful. When I was a child, I collected the nice fruits just for seeing, how beautiful they are.
    A friend of my son has a white cat, who is deaf. She has a grey brother, who is not deaf. They both are indoor-cats to avoid an accident with the white cat.
    You had a good success with your baking-experiment! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have many chestnut trees in the garden and I didn't know they were toxic! Oh dear!
    Have a lovely Sunday :)
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like seeing the horse chestnut blossoms. They look like candles on the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cookies turned into a small sheet cake, since it was so good, all turned out great. :) The info on the cats was very interesting, I have also heard that all dalmatians are deaf, don't know how true that might be. We don't have Horse Chestnuts here, I've never heart of them so I found that information interesting too! Good post today, I enjoyed my visit☺♥

    ReplyDelete