Friday 5 November 2021

Grocery Shopping and a few Treasures

 

The day began with heavy rain. We did the weekly grocery shopping then DH went to his volunteer 'job' and I unpacked all the groceries. I've been buying extra baking supplies whenever they're on sale and I had to organize my pantry to be able to see what I actually have. As I organized I kept an eye on the weather and when the rain stopped I went for my walk.  It was still overcast but by the time I came back the sun was shining.  BTW, when I was putting things away I found I have enough icing sugar, brown sugar, chocolate chips and 10 kg (22 lbs) bags of flour to take me well into 2022.

I went to the thrift store this past week and found a number of small treasures.  I'll share a few today and leave the rest for my next post.  

This pretty platter is plastic but I think it's cute. As are the little plates that  I couldn't resist. All 5 for a dollar. Can't beat that price.


I'm going to enjoy looking at these magazines. Have you checked the price of new magazines lately? These were .25  each.


The CDs were also .25. The harp one was the first I put on only to find that the CD that was in the case is not the one that was  supposed to be there.  (Yes, I'm listening to Christmas music already).


Today's tea cup is # 27 and to my surprise when I looked at the bottom of the saucer I found it did not match the cup. The cup is by Aynsley and the saucer is by Royal Albert. Funny that I never noticed. I'll have to be on the lookout for a matching saucer.  GM





 

 

16 comments:

  1. That is the cutest Christmas platter! And a steal at that price. Love your teacup and saucer...even if they don't belong together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I've bought CDs like that before (I nearly always forget to check before I buy). The cup and saucer go together well; one wouldn't have guessed they were different unless you look really closely.
    Looks like you are all set for a while in the baking department. No excuses not to do some cooking :)
    Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have just inspired me to start listening to some old Merle Haggard Christmas songs. I think I will begin with "If We Make It Through December." I have been organizing our pantry and freezer. I found a container of frozen candies I had made for last Christmas! :~) People are scaring me with all the talk about food shortages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like those Christmas plates!
    It's good feeling to have nice full pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am mulling over how much holiday baking I want to do this year. I want to cut back again.
    No Christmas music for me until after thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The platter and plates are so cute!🎅No, you certainly can't beat that price! 😉 And I have seen the price of magazines..ridiculous. I've been trying to buy extra also when I grocery shop, like today at Walmart (where Christmas music was playing🎄).
    Blessings, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always find treasures at the thrift store! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so look forward to CHRISTMAS music! Cute plates!!!! That teacup is gorgeous 🤩 I have one that is mismatched and I had not realized it either! But no matter it looks nice together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to do so much baking at Christmas but have cut way back the past several years. I don't think I'll be doing much this year either as we both need to cut back on sugar unless we want to be on medication.
    Love those sweet plate and what a great price! I haven't seen magazines at any of our thrift stores. I may have to visit again and see what I can find. It's never too early for Christmas music. I've been listening to it for awhile now.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, it definitely looks to be a matching pair tho!!

    Yes, I listen to Christmas music too. Why not?

    And, yes, magazines (and published books) prices are expensive!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good that your listening to Christmas Music G.M. I like to play John Denver on CD towards Christmas. Best Wishes. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am always surprised at the treasures you find at your thrift store! Your yellow cup & saucer really caught my eye...the saucer to your teacup is the Tea Rose pattern which is the set that I inherited from elderly friends a lifetime ago. I don't have room for it so it is now packed away in a box but I do believe I have 15 cups & saucers and alot of the other serving dishes for "faspa". I used to use it very year when I had all of hubby's aunts & uncles over to celebrate my MIL's birthday but now isn't being used anymore. Such a shame not to use the fine china on a regular basis!
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's amazing how similar the cup and saucer are, and so pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Christmas plates like that are good for giving away cookies, too. I do love Christmas music but am going to wait until after Remembrance Day to play any. I like Josh Groban, Neil Diamond, Michael W. Smith, and more. I have a cup and saucer that look similar, but don't match, but I like them together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some of our best Christmas music came from thrift stores! I haven't thought to look there in the last few years, but now that you've given me the idea...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Even though they don't match, they sure do go together!! I agree SO much about magazines and CDs -- so expensive brand new, but you can get them for a song at the thrift store. I keep looking at the glossy autumn magazines at WalMart, wishing for one, but not willing to pay $12 for one - yikes!! Good for you. I could use some new CDs too. That stack of plates is absolutely adorable!! Great find.

    ReplyDelete