Monday 7 November 2022

Laundry Trivia

 

 

Good Monday morning. It's was very chilly walking this morning. The temperature hovered just above zero C  but the wind made it feel much colder.
Being Monday it's laundry day. When I was first married I used a wringer washer much like this one. Although my mom had used one and I was familiar with the way it worked I had never actually done laundry and had to be shown how to sort my wash etc.. by a friendly woman in the same apartment building. I continued using a wringer washer for the first  5 or 6 years. Automatic washers sure made laundry day easier.


At least I didn't have to do my wash this way.





Here is a little bits of trivia which I found interesting. Please feel free to skip them.

You can use hydrogen peroxide to whiten and brighten clothes, disinfect laundry, and remove stains. Pour it directly on stains such as blood. Add one cup of hydrogen peroxide to whites in the washing machine to brighten them
 
 Hydrogen Peroxide works differently that vinegar and is better at removing different types of stains. Hydrogen Peroxid doesn't actually remove stains___it just makes them invisible!~  It breaks up strong chemical bonds in stains including ink, and in doing so it makes stains colourless___but they're still there.
 
 I really hope I haven't bored you.  Also must admit I'm not about to

start using Hydrogen Peroxide to remove stains.  I just found these bits of information interesting.

I'm off to change the loads and get on with my day,  GM

 


 


14 comments:

  1. When I was a kid (late 70's) we would visit my mama and she had a washer like the first photo. We would roll it out of the smokehouse on laundry day. All clothes went on the line, no dryer. No bathroom in the house either. A sink in the kitchen was it for water. I have the best memories of staying with her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That trivia was interesting, especially the bit about the stains remaining there. Never knew that before :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mom had a similar washer. WE had to be careful of the wringer, then she got a new machine that had a spinner off to the side...we always hung the clothes on the line summer and winter I recall diapers stiff as a board!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I had a few more minutes to escape the laundry room, but my dryer just buzzed.
    I think about how my mother had to do laundry back in my early childhood and complaining about getting up to empty the dryer and fold clothes makes me seem like a slacker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have often wondered what happened to my mother's washboard. She had a big galvanized tub with legs too. We kids took our baths in that tub on Saturday night to be clean for church.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Aunt Anna had a ringer washer and I was fascinated by it. I would spend a couple of weeks with her family in the summer and I volunteered to do laundry while I was there. My cousins loved it when I came to visit as they were relieved of what they thought was one of the worst chores ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that was interesting! I didn't know that about h. Peroxide!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really not boring, your story and experiences of washing now and in former times. It was a very hard job of our mothers to clean the wash. Once a week my mother had a long and hard day in the "wash-kitchen" in the cellar. She told us, that she could not sleep in the night before, because it was such a hard work.
    I'm really happy to have a modern washing machine. My mother said to me, when I was married young: "Now the first you need is a washing machine."

    ReplyDelete
  9. When we first got married I went to the laundromat, we didn't have any washer.
    I don't use bleach. When I hang whites out I leave them out past drying time and the sun bleaches them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mother had a wringer washer that I remember her using. I used one in our first year living overseas. It was a lot of work. Hydrogen peroxide is supposed to be better for the environment than bleach, but I find it less effective at cleaning and whitening. I don't use bleach a lot, but it works well when I do need it. I found these bits of trivia quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I grew up helping my mom do the laundry in a wringer washer, but I never had one. By the time I married, almost everyone had a newfangled automatic washer. I still like to see clothes hanging outdoors on a line, especially white ones.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My entire childhood we had a wringer washer like your photo. Monday was wash day. The ONLY wash day of the week. Not like now. I remember filling the washer, the first rinse and the second rinse. Then onto the clothes line. Clothes were also washed in a specific order. First the white. Then towels. Then nice clothes that weren't very dirty. Then the dirtiest of clothes. Then rugs. Everything was hung outside. We had pants blockers for my Dad's jeans. In the winter they were flash frozen on the line then folded and put into the freezer overnight. Tuesday was ironing day. Virtually everything except towels were ironed.
    Mom went to work outside the house when I was in the 9th grade. The first thing she bought with her first check was an automatic wash. I don't blame her a bit.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. It does not seem that long ago that my Mum used a Washing machine much like the one photographed- no computers back then...and it was all mechanical...we use to call the roller part a 'Mangle'. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very interesting and helpful blog! I am so glad that washing clothes is so much easier than what it used to be! I love my washing machine!

    ReplyDelete