Tuesday 31 January 2023

Snow and Avian Visitors

 It was snowing lightly when we left on our early morning walk.  Once we got back DH left for Gleaners and I began tidying the house. I looked out and saw that the light snow had changed to heavy so I poured a cup of coffee and sat in the sunroom to watch it fall. It's so peaceful.

At the lake we saw two pairs of newcomers, Hooded Mergansers. They don't come every year so it's special when they appear. Both pics are from the internet, the first shows the male with his hood up and the next one with it down.


 


 Our kitchen project is coming along nicely. The first part is almost done but now I have to choose  new countertops and I'm finding it hard to decide. Seems that with most people's cupboards being white these days the countertops tend to grayish tones. Our cupboards are still oak  and the walls cream so gray wouldn't look good. We'll keep looking.

***Today I have to add The Furry Gnome's blog to the list of "one's I can no longer comment on". Grrr!

Thanks for stopping by today,  GM


 


 

13 comments:

  1. I still have an "old school" kitchen with oak cabinets, but they are nice and I can't see painting them, despite wanting to sometimes. Beautiful ducks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mergansers are so striking. It's a treat to find them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hooded Mergansers are beautiful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ducks are very nice! I can imagine, that they are seldom.

    I also can imagine, that you sit so peaceful in your sunroom watching the snow falling quiet..

    A kitchen should not be cold. I like wooden style.

    OH Googe is nice: I can comment with my account! Bravo! :)))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mergansers are such lovely birds - how lucky to see them today. We had a skiff of snow when we woke up, but it disappeared by noon. Renovations take so much thinking and choosing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean about the gray tones being so popular now. We remodeled our kitchen and downstairs thirteen years ago and we have oak wood floors and vanilla painted cabinets, so the brown-rust-tan colors of the countertops are just right. But for my recent remodeling upstairs, it was hard to find the colors I was used to, and there has been a decided, if subtle, shift toward gray in those rooms.

    Gretchen Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sitting in the sunroom with a hot cup of coffee watching it snow, sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will never stop liking natural wood finishes, but do have grey tile in the kitchen. I also love to sit and watch snow falling. You have the perfect place for doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sitting and peacefully watching snow fluttering to the ground sounds heavenly to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so hard to decide on colors!
    Aren't the ducks gorgeous?!
    Hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of my favorite waterfowl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are beautiful birds, never ever seen them in the wild where I live.

    ReplyDelete