Wednesday 17 May 2023

A Disturbing Episode

 Another fine day here; now at noon it's 28C  and I just went around shutting windows to keep the heat out. Our walk this morning was somewhat different....we saw an Eagle swoop down and pick what we assume was a small fish out of the lake. It then perched on a rock and ate it.  Later we saw a mama duck with a dozen of the sweetest little ducklings swimming quite near the shore. Suddenly something popped up out of the water and took one of those fluffy babies. The mama made a fuss but what could she do? Soon she swam off with her remaining 11 behind her. I wonder if she soon forgot about the whole thing or if she grieved for a while. Who knows what goes on in a bird or animal's head?   Isn't it strange that we felt nothing about the fish that became the Eagle's breakfast but were sad about the duckling.

I have no pictures of anything pertinent. I did take a picture of the rose bush behind the house. It has grown very tall and very wide. It has too many flowers to count and they smell wonderful.

 


 Thanks for coming by today,   GM

12 comments:

  1. What a beautiful rose bush!! I would feel the same about the duckling and the fish....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the animals have to eat too. But yes I agree that it is sad about the baby geese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share your feelings about the duckling, the fish, and the eagle, and whatever was under the water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE that rose bush!!! // We're finally having warmer days down here. Hope it stays since it's halfway through May! // We've also been witness to disturbing duckling episodes. Ugh. Poor things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same like you and your comment-friends about the goose-baby and it's parents. What a morning, when these two happenings of nature came into your day! The whole creation and all creatures are full of desire for the salvation, says Paulus in the Holy Bible. I think, all creatures are in the love of their Creator and come to Him in eternal happiness - fish and geese and and and. ..But still we all are in desire...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a beautiful bush of roses you have....I love roses and used to plant many bushes at some of our old houses. I'm afraid I don't do well with the way nature works...I know everything has to find a meal...but I would have been upset to see that little duck get grabbed like that. I might even have felt bad for the fish, especially if I had to watch the Eagle sitting there eating it. I know that sometimes people lose their pet dogs and cats to raptors or carnivores. That would really do me in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, that's sad. Nature can be very cruel can't it? I know it's the whole food chain thing, but it still bothers me. Even the fish. On the other end of the spectrum, that rosebush is gorgeous. I would love to be able to smell the fragrance.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also think it strange that we mourn something cute and warm-blooded, but not something like a cold fish or an insect.
    Your rose bush is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sad about the duckling...but your rose bush is gorgeous!!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is always sad a duckling gone. Sounds like maybe a snapping turtle is in the lake. Good reason to try not to count ducklings. When I see a duck with very few, it is sad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed your comments about the ducklings. I go about thinking that all animals and plants think and feel the same way I do. So, if that's true Mother Duckling is still grieving over her wee lost one. Your kind heart shows through in so many ways here. I love it! I am imagining that I can smell your roses...how sweet they are!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What ate this poor duckling? The eagle?
    Before o had hens and chicks and a sort of small eagle we have here ate my chicks and I was very upset so I decided not to have hens anymore . The foxes from the forest behind the house during the day with an electric fence killed my hens.

    ReplyDelete