Sunday 7 May 2023

Sunday Chit Chat

 Like so many of you I watched the coronation of King Charles on Saturday. We had recorded it so I could watch it during the day. I took breaks from watching and did some housework. I remember when Queen Elizabeth was crowned but we didn't have a television and neither did any of our neighbours so it was more a matter of just hearing about it. Now I got to watch it and it was very impressive.


 Our neighbours across the street brought us a box of assorted cat and rabbit treats for Miss Kitty and Cinnamon Bun.  These are the people who took two of Miss Kitty's babies ( who are by now full grown). I thought that was so nice of them. ( They had gotten the various samples at some trade fair?)


 Lilacs are in bloom and they look and  smell as wonderful as they do every year.


 We  were visiting extended family and someone mentioned how dangerous it is to heat a cup of water in the microwave. They said one should always put a spoon into the cup along with the water.  I just had to check this out  and found that it's actually true.  I was really surprised. I'll post the information just in case someone else doesn't know; save you the bother of looking it up. Of course the whole thing isn't a problem if you don't overheat the water.


 

Usually, when we want to heat up a liquid like a coffee, water to make a tea, some soup, etc. we just put it in a glass or a bowl inside the microwave, and just start the microwave for a couple of minutes.

 

However, this can be a dangerous practice. Why?

Because when we heat up a liquid in the microwave, it can reach a temperature above it’s boiling point too quick,  and it just might no be visible to us. The liquid then becomes what is called an “overheated or superheated liquid”.

If an overheated liquid gets then disturbed, portions of that liquid may turn to boil or steam, causing it to splash or even explode and give you a nasty burn in the process.

So, how do we correctly heat up a cup/bowl/glass with a liquid inside it on the microwave?

-Just put in a metal spoon in the recipient along with the liquid.

The metal on the spoon will act as a heat dissipator, and distribute more evenly the heat within the liquid, preventing its overheating.

****************

 Let me know in the comments if this is news to you. Maybe I'm the last to find out.


GRANNY M

15 comments:

  1. Yes this is news to me, about heating up water in a microwave. I thought you weren't supposed to put metal in there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The news about a metal spoon in a cup of liquid is definitely news to me. I've heated cups of liquid in the microwave for years without incident.
    The lilacs are so beautiful - such a beautiful flower of May.
    I've been watching bits and pieces of the coronation throughout yesterday and today, too. Such a magnificent spectacle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From back to forward:

    We don't have a microwave, but its very good to know this rule!!

    Here in the Bavarian Forest Lilacs still wait in their beds. I look forward to smell their wonderful taste and enjoy the nice colour.

    Good neighbours! A great present! I'm so happy to hear good news about Kitties babies!

    I LOVE the crowning of King Charles! I thought: Everyone will get such a ceremony in heaven to feel the dignity of life.. I got another new young sheep and called her "Karla" (= Charles) Ravenna, because she arrived our little farm on Sunday! My dear husband's name is Karl-Heinz. He is also a wonderful King !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed watching the Coronation - it really was spectacular and I was very moved with the meaning behind it all.
    I've not heard of the teaspoon thing either, although I have heard instances when water has exploded like that and burnt people.
    Enjoy your lilacs, they always smell so heavenly :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didnt know that either, but thought that metal in a microwave could be a problem? Our lilacs are not yet out, I do love the scent of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of this! I always thought you couldn't put metal in a microwave...I'll try it!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. spoons in the micro? I didn't think you could put metal? Yes I watched the coronation of King Charles III, it was a historic event which I've never seen in my life and don't know if I'll see the next one. They know how to plan an event. Pagentry, music, jewels, it had it all. I did get your comments GM, I havn't been posting regularly to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wishing you a peaceful week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know that about the spoon either and thought you weren't supposed to metal in the microwave.
    We've never had a problem heating water.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Lilacs are in bloom already?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like many have already stated I thought it was dangerous to put metal in a micro wave. I have not had a problem with heating water.
    Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  12. Total news to me...always learning something when blogging. I think it was nice for the neighbors to bring the treats for your pets, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. News to me as I thought all metal was dangerous to put in a microwave. Sometimes I boil water in a cup in the microwave to cause steam and then the inside is easier to clean! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, yes. This is news to me!! I have always thought that something metal would set off sparking in the microwave.

    ReplyDelete