Tuesday 16 May 2023

Hot Weather

 My but we're having hot weather!  Not 2 weeks ago I was wearing a warm jacket when we walked early in the morning. Now it doesn't even cool off much at night. We are under a heat advisory so I hope people are careful. Yesterday afternoon we saw an elderly lady walking with her walker in 34* heat. Not a good thing.

My poor plants are suffering. I did a bit of watering...mainly my row of Astilbes. If they get too dry they'll turn brown and crispy. They'll come back next year but I really don't want them to look unsightly all summer. 

On the subject of flowers....my Amaryllis has 4 lovely big flowers. I think by now all of them have bloomed. I have moved them into one of the porch windows.

 


In spite of the heat we had a lovely family get together for Mother's Day. We sat outside in the shade and had 2 fans moving the air around. I've read that Mother's Day is the busiest day of the year for florists and I think that may have caused some confusion in one of our local Florist Shops where son#2 had ordered flowers to be delivered because I received one arrangement on Friday and another one on Sunday.  Both myself and my son were a little surprised but obviously they got mixed up.


I've rambled on long enough and there are some things on my to-do list that won't get done unless I get moving. Thanks for taking time out of your day to visit here.


GRANNY M


14 comments:

  1. Hi GM! Oh, I'm so glad you had a lovely Mother's Day! That is hot weather! I hope it cools down soon! Your lily is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were much relieved to have a cool down last night, and today is much better. This week will be more moderate,
    Your flowers are lovely. You get two for the price of one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm waiting on my amyrilis to bloom. I know... I didn't spell that right!! Glad you got both of those bouquets... both are cute as can be and you can have flowers in two rooms instead of one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flowers are so appropriate for Mother's Day. My late husband had such fond memories of when their whole extended family would drive up into the hills on Mother's Day after church and see the wildflowers, which in their area were already putting on a good display by then. I think they may have picnicked up there, too -- I hope so, because it is nice for the mothers to have a day off from cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We haven't had any hot weather here yet, but then it never really gets very hot here even in summer.
    Two bouquet of flowers are better than one. :) They are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow SO hot!! I really cannot imagine. Our weather was/is cold and grey and rainy but full of long time of light.
    I am dancing with the trees, who need this cool May! We will have sun on Thursday, and maybe we will get your hot weather?? Stay healthy and happy and enjoy all your flowers, also the TWO beautiful flower bouquets...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great to be remembered with flowers and a visit from family on Mother's Day. Hopefully, your heat wave will be over soon and your flowers will not have suffered much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your 2 floral arrangements.....so pretty. Glad you had a great Mother's Day....sorry to hear about your hot weather. I can't wait for Spring and Summer to come....but really dislike the hot weather. Stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had heat like that plus humidity last week, while we were moving the heavy stuff. It's much cooler this week and even have the windows open.
    You received some gorgeous flowers. Mandy brought me a pot of pansies for the balcony. I ran to Walmart yesterday to pick up some fruit and produce and they had the flowers that were $24.95 on Sunday for Mother's Day marked down to $10.00. I almost gave in and bought some but I didn't. :-) Stay cool my friend.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here I sat outside yesterday but I had to wear a pull over! My Amaryllis will also have two flowers soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your fast change in weather has been reflected here, only in the other direction. Now I am bundled up in warm jumper and fluffy slippers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow that is really surprising so hot in the middle of May! Love the flowers 💐

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's always fun to visit here... Love the flowers! Here in Texas we are still undergoing Spring rains.
    My roses need sunshine soon!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you had a good Mother's Day. Hopefully, the heat wave will soon pass. The weather is hard to predict.

    ReplyDelete