Friday 17 November 2023

Friday Chit Chat

 I went to the (used) bookstore to ask if they had anything about how women coped in WWII. I've seen some mentioned on Pinterest and asked if they had those titles. They didn't. I was directed to the Herstory shelves. I had no idea what the young woman meant but she took me to the section marked Herstory which was right next to the section marked History.  Please tell me I'm not the only one who never heard of this new word!  I did find some books that look as if they might be interesting but as far as I can tell they're all novels. I was looking for some that were written at the time and were about the life of the author. Oh well. I'll keep looking. I know some are available on Amazon but I don't feel like paying those prices.



 We had a strange day today. We received a notice last week that on this Friday our power could be turned off any time between 10 until 4 o'clock.  We waited and kept watching but no workers ever showed up. Meanwhile we hadn't turned on any computers nor the stove or washer & dryer.  DH stayed home from Gleaners in case the Hydro workers needed him to move a section of our front fence ( which is really close to the pole that was supposed to be replaced).  Now we are left wondering when they'll show up. I doubt they work weekends so maybe Monday?

Thank you for all the comments on the Impossible Lemon pie.  We enjoyed it ( it was gone in no time at all) but both of us agree that the Impossible Coconut pie is better. I make those Impossible pies quite often because they always turn out.  If you're interested, try the savoury recipes. They're good too and so easy.
There's a recipe on-line for make-your-own Bisquick. I mix up a double batch and keep it handy in the fridge.

Bisquick

Ingredients

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour

  • 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder

  • ¼ teaspoon salt

  • 1 tablespoon butter or vegetable shortening 

    Mix together and keep refrigerated


I hope you have a lovely weekend,  GM


11 comments:

  1. I read a great book on women munitions workers in WWI in the UK, entitled Canary Girls, by J Chiavarini.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not heard of the word herstory either. :) I wish I could give you some titles that weren't novels. I enjoy reading books of that time period, but unfortunately they have all been novels.

    I'm sorry about the power not being turned off when it was supposed to be. It kind of leaves you wondering what you could start and not worry about whether it would be interrupted.

    Thank you for the Bisquick recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Alice Network is one you might like. Life in a Jar by Irena Sendler is another you may like. Both were book club reads. We like the Impossible Cheeseburger pie...but I use Italian Sausage and co jack cheese:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the recipe. Herstory is a new word for me too, I donr think I will be using it much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is frustrating to wait for workers that don't show up! Thank you for the recipe. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of Herstory either!!
    How inconsiderate of the power company not to let you know they wouldn't be there that day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard that before either.
    I use to make those impossible pies a lot when I was first married I haven't even bought bisquick in years and I don't know why
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have heard the term "herstory" for awhile now. Like you, I have been interested in life during the war years, specifically how women managed at Christmastime with the food rations. Makes me wish I had asked Mum more but it didn't occur to me at the time and of course now it's too late. Let us know if you find some great books!
    Ellabie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do believe the younger generations just make up words, anymore.
    I made your pie, and we Loved it!!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of impossible pie but now you have me hungry for one. I, however, am trying to stay away from sugar because of my cancer recently. They say sugar feeds cancer and I am on the side of caution... but I am finding it difficult to stay away from my sweet stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The lemon pie looks delicious- I don't think I have ever made one before. I do make a lot of Keto Key Lime pies for my husband and he loves them. I hope you find a few good books on women during the war times. I would think there would be quite a few.

    ReplyDelete